I am officially house-birdless!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ebonykawai, May 3, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

The last of my chicks went out yesterday, joining their slightly older buddies. I added an extra feeder and waterer and all went off without a hitch. They all cuddled up together to sleep. It was really cute. [​IMG]

Now.....the work of reclaiming my room!!!! I think I'll be vacuuming and dusting all day. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That must be sooo nice to reclaim a room [​IMG]

I'm proud of you!! [​IMG]

I have a brooder box in the laundry foyer, annndddd 2 brooder boxes in my DR/GR..oh my and eggies hatching and and eggs due to hatch in 2 weeks...maybe by mid-summer I will be house chickless!!.... [​IMG]

I gotta get control here soon!!!... [​IMG]

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Yeah, but be careful. I was house-chickenless too and then I went to the farm store, in fact, I went to two farm stores. We justified getting more because we "had room in the house for the brooder again"!!! I now have house chicks again!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] Yup, she better beware of the empty brooder box syndrome.... [​IMG]

5. ebonykawai

LOL, I can't tell you how many times in this past week I thought "Should I get those eggs?" "Maybe I should get more chicks."

I'm trying really hard to keep to the flock I have right now, mainly because it's my first time and I don't want go overboard and over-populate. I'm real concerned about keeping everybody healthy in both mind and body. I have 11 total and they are in an 8x8 shed, which they seem to love. Their run is 192 sq. ft. and except for a grassless patch that was already there, they haven't started to dig it all up yet. I'm hoping some grass will continue to grow for them in there. So I tell all this to myself when the 'more chicks!!!!' bug strikes. More would not really be better in this case; I need to appreciate what I have. [​IMG]

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Quote:I can so relate to what you're going thru. But, I'm finding that it doesn't work that way! Oh I appreciate what I have but I want more anyway!! I have room for about 10-12 chickens, depending on whose book you read on space requirements. But would be better off with 6-8! Right now I have 20 chicks in different stages of growth. Everyday I sit down, pencil/paper in hand and try to "cull" the ones out I can live without, on a list. It's getting harder every day!! Does this mean building another shed with another coop in it?? Or will common sense win out over all this lovey dovey nonsense?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I doubt it! [​IMG]

Something tells me I'm going to be chicken-poor someday soon!! [​IMG] I've even thought of starting a foster home for baby chicks. They are so much fun. I could get the chicks, raise them until they are 5-6 weeks old, then find them good homes.

I'm still not sure if I can get away with even having chickens in my town. The village clerk said "Sure go ahead and raise some chickens, but you may have to get rid of them if the neighbors complain." Blaaaaaa I have crabby neighbors!!

7. ebonykawai

It is really hard to resist. Really hard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by