I am on dad duty and my little girl wants deviled eggs! Help!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pgras123, Dec 3, 2008.

1. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    Ok, I can make deviled eggs but the last couple of times I had a real hard time getting the shells off! I ended up damaging the eggs - it was real hard to get the shell off. Any ideas or tips Please? Thank you.[​IMG]

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    if you already bolied them, put them in the fridge for a little while and get them good and cold then peel. If not, put a few tablespoons of salt in the water when you boil them. Always does the trick for me.

3. corcor55

corcor55 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    New Fairfield, CT
    Hello.

Bring the eggs to a boil in a pot, and as soon as it comes to the boil, take the eggs of the heat and set the pot aside for about 15 minutes. This should help with the shell removal because it cooks the eggs gently. Remove the shell while the eggs are likewarm...

If that fails, you can go to youtube.com and search for the video that shows you how to "blow" the egg out of the shell in about 1 second, real cool.

Good Luck.

4. pgras123

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    Thanks, turns out I am not the first one to ask lots of other post on this subject and receipes too. This is my favorite website ever! My wife thinks I am nuts.

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Well if you are nuts then we all are nuts! Welcome to the club! [​IMG]

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Prick the large end with a push pin, and put them in boiling water. A bit of white may come out when dropped in the water, but it seals the hole instantly. Boil for 10 min., remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 10-15 min. Cool under running water or in ice and water, then peel.

I think pricking the shell must let some moisture get between the membrane and the egg white, and makes them very easy to peel perfectly.

Hope this helps!!

7. pgras123

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    yes the salt and putting them in an ice bath worked! Perfect. I think I put too much mustard in the mix, but I am working on that! It is winter and I am cooking, I dont do this stuff in the spring summer and fall - I prefer to be out on the property working. Maybe I could find a good egg cookbook. Time to look. Thanks to all again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by