I am planning too breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by birdsofthefarm, Sep 10, 2009.

1. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    Hi!! I am starting to breed my chickens and I would like your advice on who to breed first. See my site{at bottom} and see the pics{the grey barred rock/ee mix is the roo} Comment here

2. IndianaSilkies

IndianaSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Chalmers, Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My best friend just told me she is pregnant so my first thought when I read your post was that you are planning a family!

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question.... [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    This really depends on what you want to breed for... Do you just want a pretty bird? Breed some you think you would make pretty birds. Want to breed for egg layers? Breed to the best egglayers and go from there.

If there isn't really a purpose behind it then just throw them all together in a pen and let it go.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I think you should ask yourself some questions before you begin.

Like DT Chickens said,

Why do I want to breed? Is it because you want to preserve a particular breed and it's traits and characteristics? Or perhaps you think a bird is pretty or maybe you want to breed an attractive bird that is a good layer with good meat qualities? Perhaps you want to show exhibition poultry. I think you need to really think about this and come to some conclusions before you begin.

You have a cute mixed flock now so unless you are just wanting to breed Barn Yard Mixes (which is fine) you will need to research breeds and finds ones that interest you. I do think all breeding programs should have a purpose so that you have a goal or a set of guidelines to work by and achieve. I think it will make the whole adventure more meaningful and worth while.

Good Luck

5. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    I have a beautifull bird. She has a few gold streaks down her neck feathers and two layers of what looks like flames all over body, and I don't eat my chickens, {I would rather die} SO I breed for showing, I am in 4H

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by