I am proud of my son and my rooster

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I have been working with my speckled sussex rooster, Mack, on who is boss around here. He attacked both of my small boys a week and a half ago. My wife let him out of his quarantine pen to wander the yard and he knocked over my 2 yo and hit my almost 4 year old in the back. He has been in with his ss girls for a few days and I have been the only one going in there for safety reasons. The first day I went in, he popped me in the leg before I could latch the door. I kicked him away from me long enough to latch the door and then chased him down and picked him up. I then grabbed his comb and held on for a while and then I grabbed his wattles. After a couple of minutes, I put him down. He moves away from me when I approach now. So this morning I went in and he started trying to mount every hen in there when I walked in. So I pushed him off each one with my foot and then picked him up for a couple more minutes. He was upset and squirmed when I went to put him down so I held his legs too until he calmed down as I released him.

Well a few minutes ago, I went out to check on things and he moved away from me and didn't try to mount any hens, but my almost 4 yo son came out to check for eggs (he was very upset that I left him inside). I had him come in the ss side of the coop with me and he was terrified. But he was brave and did it anyway while holding my hand. Mack left him alone even when he quit holding my hand. I was so proud of him for being so brave. And I was very happy that Mack stood down. I don't trust him yet, but apparently he can be worked with and can learn who is boss.

Bye the way, Mack is the roo in my avatar.

Great Job! It's true, holding a rooster is pretty much like saying "your like a fly to me" to them and it hits their ego. After I put down my rooster's they always find the need to do something manly like shuffly around with their wings down looking tough or mounting one of the hens right after. It's like they're saying "IM STILL A MAN!"

Back
Top Bottom