1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am proud of myself (tooting my own horn a bit)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 17, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I am super happy to be able to help a fellow military family... I think you guys will be proud of me too!!!!

My hubby is military. we understand what it is like to feel the need to rehome a pet in the wake of a family move (we have not done it but we have felt the need to do it) we also understand what it is like to deploy to a war zone (both hubby and I-I was military too and deployed several times) Any way herer is my little toot my own horn thingy!!!!!

I found this ad on a webby in our area and it said that the person was looking ot rehome thier pet pullet because of a military deployment. (this couple had to take thier kids to their gramdmas so they can deploy) anyway I emailed them and told them I would Foster thier pet till they return and they were astonished by this.... I told them I will make sure to give her lots of love and pets daily (I pet all my girls everyday) and I told them when they return they could have her back. I also told them while they are gone I will send them updates and photos... the wife was taken aback I think.... she cant believe that some one would do this.... I told her that I have been in her shoes...and feel that a pet is an important thing for a fmaily that is already being torn apart a little bit by distance....she said I am SO glad you emailed because we have been so worried that some one would eat our pet.... I told her that she should have been worried because sometimes people say OH I will take care of your pet then they DO eat them.... I promised her I would send her pictures and updates... and that she would get her girl back intact (barring some freak happening in which case I will feel like POO) anyway.... they are bringing "cash" thier pet pullet out tommorrow. to visit her foster home and drop her off.....I will try to get some pics of the whoel visit and swap...

She said she cant believe how attached her and the whole family has become to this stinking chicken..... I said I understand!!!! REALLY I DO!!!

I am so excited to be able to help this family out!!! It makes me feel really good!!!!

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    thats great to hear military familys deserve more then what they get. i served my self, my bro just completed his enlistment,

thank a farmer for your food thank a soldier for the freedom to eat it

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Great job! [​IMG]

but Just FYI you might want to quarantine it just to be sure your not introducing a sick bird to the rest of your flock.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    THANK YOU!!! [​IMG] Our Military have SOOO many things to take care of!!! It is GREAT that you are helping them out!!!! [​IMG]

However --PLEASE DO NOT put your flock at risk!!! Please quarantine this pullet!!! [​IMG]

Cindy

5. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Be sure to introduce them to the BYC forum and then they can check in here and you can keep us all updated on your generous deed!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Way to go....I guess there really are a few good people in Wasilla. [​IMG]
    Joking, of course.

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Good for you!! [​IMG]

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

It is such a wonderful thing you are doing, be very proud of yourself. Quarentine is a obvious thing, yet often even quarentine does not work. I will assume that AK_button_momma knows all that after being on BYC.
    This is about screaming back at her GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! Woohhoooooo you are contributing to the care of our service men and women, you need to be so proud of yourself! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good on you, what a nice thing to do!

And I'll join the chorus singing "Quarantine"! [​IMG]

True, this is about a very generous, loving act! You have restored their faith in people! Please wish the couple best of luck and thanks for what they do, and those thanks to you and your DH as well! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Can you feel me pattin' you on the back? Nice thing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by