I am questioning my decision on getting chickens...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Year of the Rooster, May 2, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I do enjoy having them and the eggs are nice, but the worse part is finding homes for the roosters and chicks. I have been looking all over to find a simple home for them and when I do, the person bails out on me...

I will not say names. The first person we met at a swap. It took about an hour and a half to drive there and they end up not wanting them because her daughter is scared of this particular breed... just my luck! She could've told me..

The second person I know isn't her fault. I know she wanted them. And I know she's sorry [​IMG]

I think this hobby has ended up being more stressful.... and someone my age (teen) doesn't need this more stress! School is hard enough.... I can tell my parents aren't enjoying these letdowns either. It's also giving them a bad impression of the Poultry World and the people in it. We're not farmers, just living in a suburban neighborhood. If things come to worse I guess I'll just butcher them, that's what they're for right? The chicks are another story...

Sorry for the depressing speech... Thanks for reading.

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried posting them on Craigslist?

Maybe once you re-home your roosters/chicks you can enjoy a flock of just hens. Things might be calmer [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Putting up signs at feed stores may help. If you have to slaughter them, don't feel bad.

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes, I have posted on here and Craigslist many times. I would like to have two roosters though, but the extra ones are killing me! [​IMG] I have two picked out that are the gentlest and the quietest. The others... [​IMG] are noisy, cocky, and full of spunk! They crow almost 24/7 with short breaks inbetween... I guess thats a rooster for ya...

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Why cant you ust keep a flock, even with your two roosters, without having more? Do they keep going broody?

I would love to take some off your hands... [​IMG]

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:Sometimes I just give them away to people who will penn them and fatten them. I am not good at the killing part. Now maybe if I get really hungry. I'm really not to much in the breeding because I get so many roos. But it does make for happy neighbors.

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Yes lol I ended up getting the infamous silkies [​IMG] I had my first two go broody in March and I wanted them to have a chance to hatch some eggs so I let each hatch five...... [​IMG]

You wouldn't happen to be taking a road trip to Ohio would you? [​IMG]

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Keep the two Roos you have chosen, just don't let them run free with your girls... problem solved, they won't breed.

9. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Thanks English Chick but it's not the breeding that is the problem. I don't mind having the fertile eggs. I am more concerned with find homes for them. Maybe if I do then I'll concentrate on the fertility. Thanks though [​IMG]

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Nope no roat trips to Ohio. But, man, I would love to have a few broody little silkies from you!! Maybe you should get a wire cage and try to break them all. OR if that diddnt work you could get different eggs to put under them and maybe they would be something that people are more likely to want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by