I am quickly becoming obsessed with chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KTruxillo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    I am a new chicken raiser and have found myself very quickly falling in love with chickens. We ordered 5 started Red Stars from McMurray's because we were nervous about raising chicks, a week later we found ourselves buying 6 sex-linked pullets and then 6 more RIR pullets! We are currently toying with the idea of adding a few Orpingtons and Barred Rocks to our flock. We have a large run that we enlarged with now 2 coops, so our flock has plenty of room. Is anyone else finding themselves a little chicken obsessed or is it just me?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

There are multiple threads regarding the chicken addiction, and many of us visit them to post there regularly.

But I am not addicted - I can stop hatching, buying, letting broodies hatch chicks, ANY time I want to. Yup. No problem here. Not at all.
    (Read my signature line....)

3. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

So, what's the problem? LOL

We started out a few years ago with a few hens for tick control and, well, if you check my signature, you can see we've grown a bit through the years.

And the best thing? I can stop any time I want, too. I just have 32 eggs in the 'bator, and we're getting some guineas, oh, and there's the 6 baby mallards we took in ... but honestly ... who's addicted?

Blessings-
    Em

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    you are DEFINITELY NOT the only one.

5. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Ah, we've lured another one to the Chicken Side. Excellent. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Seriously, chicken-keeping is addictive. I meant to start with half a dozen or so. When my new order of seven comes next week, I'll be up to twenty-five birds. I also talk about them all. the. time. It's a good thing that my friends and family are absolutely fascinated with them, as otherwise I'd probably be egged everywhere I go. [​IMG]

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    do a search on here for "chicken math" [​IMG]

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    ...oh, and I've been eyeing a small incubator, as I want to try hatching. Nope. I'm not addicted at all. Not me.

Also, as a pharmacist, I can state with authority that duct-taping an egg to your arm will not work as a stop-chickening patch - the egg simply doesn't work transdermally, and it's really messy when it breaks.

8. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    I thought I was getting a little out of control but apparently I am way behind! My family (other than my equally chicken obsessed husband and kids) think I am crazy, however I have forwarned them that their fresh eggs and gumbo hens are in danger if they continue to tease me about my chicken habit. It truely is a great family event in our coop. My boys are ages 2 and 4 and they absolutely love going out to the coop to see if we have any eggs, and my oldest actually enjoys going in there to clean and collect poop to put in our compost. Now I definitely can't wait to get some new chickens to add to our ever-growing flock!

9. absolutemoon

absolutemoon New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    Started with 15 chicks last August. Current count 60+ various varieties, 10 turkeys, a cow, a pot bellied pig, and a goat on the way. Last August, we had a DOG... Only a DOG. The first step to recovery is to recognize you have a problem right? I'm not recognizing squat!!! I'm having fun with these birds.. No problem here.. Keep on hatching..

10. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, an incubator would only help to cure your obsession. I mean, how are you ever going to know if you like hatching unless you get an incubator and do it?

Just sayin'...

Blessings-
    Em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by