I am really angry and upset.am I over reacting? **UPDATE POST 30**

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I just received an e-mail from a company that my SONS SCHOOL gave his information to and outside company without my consent!

heres the story!

My son is in grade 8 and starting to think about the classes he wants to take for high school. The school had signed him up for an online planner that is not associated with the school board in any way. They are not endorsed, a division of...ect... this is a totally separate company.

They (the school) gave this internet based company my sons name in full and his school name without my permission! [​IMG] I admit my son is not a baby.. he is 13 but that does not make him a grown up either.

I called this company and I really caught him (the manager) off guard! I started firing questions off left and right..

what are their security precautions? answer: they have 32 bit encription (ok what ever that means... )
    what is their privacy policy? well we dont sell our list... [​IMG]
    has each member of the staff had a police record check done? (comon they are dealing with my childs information).. Oh whats that and how do we do it?... I had to explain what a criminal background check was and how to get one [​IMG]

Am I over reacting?....

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I would be more angry at the school -not the company. Did your son fill out a form for the information? If so, school is off the hook.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't think you're overreacting. That's creepy. [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    You know, I've noticed where I live that at the beginning of the school year we have to sign a paper if we DON'T want information shared.. it's not assumed anymore. I think it should be the other way .. but that's how they get you .. imo.

[​IMG] I would be livid also.

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:ours did the same and i refused to sign and noted at no time is my information or my child's information to be shared anyone!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In htat case you have a specific action against them. Your child is a minor, and cannot countermand your permission.

If you have not already, call the company back and demand that they immediately remove your sons name and information from ALL records. Then call teh school preincipal and raise %$#!

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I deleted his profile right away.. I called the company and explained why and my concerns (lack of security and criminal background check)

I have also explained to my son WHY I am as angry as I am...

I called the supt of schools and expressed my outrage as PC as I could... the principal was not available when I called but I will be showing up tomorrow to raise &%$@# and I am good at that

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    It's sad that they didn't know better. I would be absolutely livid! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Overreaction to the company with the information.

Under-reaction to the school that shared it. They are the ones you should be talking to - the company didn't pressure or force them into giving out the info. You did not sign the paper at the start of the year, they should not have done it.

There's no reason to attack the company for the school's mistake.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:the school could not answer my questions about the companies staff or security precautions... so then go to the source... and then question their business practices when they market their product for use of minors..

trust me school is not off the hook... they are in deep kaka!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by