I am really confused?Update with pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, May 28, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have a silkie who has decided to sit on 3 eggs, no problem but I have the rest of the chickens out in the run to give her some space during the day time. Well my barred rock is going nuts to get to my mama hen even fighting with the other hens she has lived with, with out any problems. She is also being very vocal about it. So I let her in with the mama hen she quiets down but digs her head under like shes trying to take the eggs??? What is happening here I have never hatched eggs before this is my first broody hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    Is the broody in the nesting box where the BR usually likes to lay her eggs? My chickens are very particular to which box they use. Best to move the broody to her own quiet little spot so the others can go about their business.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I moved her and this hen keps getting on top of her no matter where i put her??

4. Christine S

Christine S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    One of my hens was broody for the last 3 weeks. She would sit in the preferred nesting box and the others would crowd in to lay in the box with her in it. I have 5 regular hens and one little bantam Cochin (pet for the kids). The Cochin would get right in UNDER Jenna in the box and SLEEP there. I'd peek in to see HP's head sticking out from under Jenna's wing.

Now I suspect Jenna thinks HP (the Bantam) is her chick!

Your hen is probably trying to lay eggs in the same nest box...let her!

5. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I just put a wire dog crate around the box my broody was in. I then put some mesh stuff above it to keep the others from roosting on it. Gave her some food and water and now that cage is where mom and the kids live very happily.

[​IMG]

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Could I keep her in a cat carrier in the coop??? Or is that to small of an area. She hardley gets up at all now??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by