i am really interested in the araucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by queenhoneeybee, May 21, 2010.

1. queenhoneeybee

queenhoneeybee Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    and i dont know what questions to ask a breeder before i purchase. i know what i want, what i expect it to look like, etc. but other than that i am clueless. is it better to hatch my own eggs and if so-should i try hatching chicks that aren't araucanas before i make the leap? i don't know what to do and so new at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I first tried hatching araucana before I had hatched other chicks and it is a very expensive lesson to learn. None lived to hatch all the way out. OOOOHHH I was flaming mad. So I read everything I could about hatching, ( I had two polish roos running with my laying flock because they were free and I had the space ) so I started collecting eggs and hatched my first batch of them, success!!! about 50%. Could have been better but I couldn't let nature take its course and was sure they were dying Yada Yada Yada, cracked some open to soon. Anyhooo, I was hooked. I then managed to buy two roos and 6 hens from different breeders who I thank everytime I write about the birds. ( Gary, Ann, thank you) Now I have a serious addiction. I am putting every egg from my araucana's in the incubator. It is still trial and error but I am loving it. Be aware that even hatching eggs will not give you show quality araucana's and if they do I am jealous and will probably cry. (then I will be happy for you but only a little.) My first batch of purebred araucana's, out of ten only 2 are rumpless and none tufted. Even with rumpless parents you can get tails.

Lanae

3. queenhoneeybee

May 21, 2010
    thanks so much for the info =] do you have rumpless or tufted?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    cash, funny you should say that about the tails. I just hatched out some ameraucana(roo) x araucana(clean faced rumpless) and hatched out 5 rumpless/bearded chicks, funny how that works [​IMG] (btw this wasn't on purpose, she decided to go broody and I couldn't get her out and a skunk got in there and spooked her. Rolled out the eggs with a hockey stick cuz she wouldn't go back. I am hoping to finish my breeding pen and put her with my lonely tufted/rumpless araucana roo....he's in the bachelor pad with a lav ameraucana [​IMG]

5. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I just hatched 15 from 24 lavender araucana eggs. One infertile, three died in shell before day 18, one pipped internally and died, the other three probably day 18-19. One died after hatching too quickly. All the rest are bombproof chicks, all strong and very healthy. For a first attempt at incubating, very impressed! See below one fo them...

[​IMG]

6. queenhoneeybee

May 21, 2010
    awww! its so adorable! how cute! thanks for sharing! =]

7. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have rumpless clean faced ( no tufts ) and rumpless tufted, and am picking up two rumpless tufted roos in the next week or so. Yeah Me!!

I have a pen with an araucana roo and EE hens and am hoping for rumpless, tufted, beards and muffs all on the same chick. Heres hoping.

Lanae

8. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I have european bred Lavender Araucanas, so they will have tails, but I have no idea about the tufts/muffs/beards. Don't think they breed that into them here, just try to keep the black skin and lavender colour. Thinking of crossing the hens with a black silkie roo (dark skinned araucana) and a buff orpington roo (light skinned, like the pic), see what I get! Out of the five I get to keep, two are black skinned and three are pale skinned. The mottled beaks are adorable!

9. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    The european araucana still have the tufts correct, even though they have tail?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by