I am REALLY worried about this one.........

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by starsevol, Aug 3, 2014.

1. starsevol

starsevol Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    ....because roosters are not allowed in my town. This baby is half cochin, and half orpington and is 7 weeks and one day old. The waddles are bigger and redder than the other 3 chicks I have. I hope this is a "Milly" and not a "Mo". Here are shots of the waddle, comb and saddle.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I would guess pullet

3. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    X2

4. starsevol

Jul 21, 2014
    Love you guys! I know most of you are farmers and probably think I'm a bit silly,...I knew when I started incubating those 4 eggs that most likely there would be a rooster (or 4) that I would have to get rid of.....but I truly have fallen hard for these little twerps. They are so bonded. If one is away from the others for even a minute they call for each other.

Nothing in the world could be better than me being able to keep Jenny, Polly, Dolly AND Milly!!

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    What luck!

6. starsevol

Jul 21, 2014

That's why I see those larger-but-still-small waddles and just KNOW one of them has to be a heartbreak......I mean rooster!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That is not an alarming amount of wattle for a 7 week old - and over all the bird has a pullet look

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. Looks girly to me. I've seen many little roo's sporting a whole lot more red and bigger combs/wattles at 7 weeks. I would suspect this is a pullet and if your lucky that little bird will not prove us all wrong lol!

9. starsevol

Jul 21, 2014
    I think I freaked because the chick that is a day older has absolutely no wattle at all yet, and I mean nothing! So in comparing the two, my inexperience combined with the law of averages that 2 of the 4 should be Roos and my dread of having to give any up is making me see things that aren't there!

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well and some birds of the exact same age just mature a little faster. In my last batch I had two barred rocks, hatched the same day, but one had a much larger, redder comb much sooner then the other. I was convinced she was a roo. But she remained a pullet lol! Hopefully yours will do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by