I am really worried....Advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Okay, I took the advice last night and used the band-aid treatment. In addition I also put the clear tape on the foot to make it like a web foot. The other chicks didn't like the shiny tape so I removed Pip Squeek and put him/her with another newborn in the bator for recovery. This morning I got up to discover the bandage was off and there was no change. I put another bandage on and took the tape off. It looks like the toes like to curl up when they are spread out. Otherwise, the chick keeps them tucked under it. I feel like a failure and I don't know what to do with the little fuzzy buttle. Is there hope? Please advise asap!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, I am sorry. I know your pain. I have tried and tried to get curled toes to straighten.....with no luck. I did have one hen straighten them on her own! Good luck with the little fluffy butt.

3. Lambingfamily

Jan 22, 2009
    The little fuzzy buttle will not put any weight on the foot. It just balances on one foot and even with the bandage on it sticks out to the side a bit. Should I try the orthopedic chair that someone mentioned on another post. Has anyone else heard of this?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cut a thin piece of cardboard for under the foot and tape it down like a paddle with the toes in position.

5. Lambingfamily

Jan 22, 2009
    THANKS Miss Prissy![​IMG] I will do that right away!

6. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I had to keep my separate also. The other chicks will peck at the hobble etc.. because they are curious but it makes your efforts even harder. Just remember it took 21 day to go from yolk to chick and only takes a couple days to straighten funny feet. Try not to take the hobble off for at least 2 days. Mine learn to walk with it after a few hours. I used the string method because I thought the bandaid was more difficult to keep on. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by