I am RECONSIDERING all of this "Natural chicken raising" Marek was disastorous for us!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Natalijaasbj, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    This is my first year of chicken keeping. I had 12 chickens. 7 hens and 5 roosters. We made sure we do nget it from the hatchery and went ahead researched about breeders around us. We found one wich many people reccomended. We got the chickens. Them around 3 months Marek's stroke.
    Our breeder chose not to vaccinate his chicks as they practice natural farming.
    We lost 3 hens so far to Marek's it was devastating. We can not "cull" them quickly so it was always a "hospital area in the garage and they die slowly. Now we have number 4 sitting there - .
    If I knew how devastating it may be - I would choose vaccinations for sure. I talked typ the local vet - he said - vaccinate for Marek for sure with the next ones. I WILL.
    jUST SEENG MY CHILD BEING SO UPSET OF DYING CHICKS IS HORRIBLE, wE SUPPOSED TO EAT EGGS ALREADY AND INSTEAD WE HAVE this.
    Just wanted to share our experience - may be someone there will be warned. Can not hear the people out there "protesting " vaccination of our children. Duh!
    Sorry for venting.
    My question is - if you went through the similar situation - your advice? Is vaccination going to be enough to protect my next generation of chicks?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I would vaccinate. I would also report the breeder and choose a new breeder. Sorry to hear about your loss.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm so very sorry for all your losses. Do you have a positive Marek's diagnosis? If you do, then your environment is contaminated and all you surviving chickens are carriers for life. Some will probably survive, which is good for them but not helpful for your future chicks. Plan to sterilize your brooder area, and dispose of anything that can't be cleaned and sterilized for new chicks. Your new chicks need to be vaccinated at the hatchery and ISOLATED for three weeks (I think, check first) from your contaminated environment so they build their immunity, before contact with your chickens or their area. No visitors, no sharing birds or their stuff, unless with flocks already infected. Strict biocontainment is the story from here on; so sorry. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by