I am renaming my chickens; Hoover and Shopvac....

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
LOL

Ok, I have been nervous to just throw any scrap or veggitation into my coop for my girls as they just don't seem bright enough to rip off tiny pieces and swallow...they are like vacuum cleaners...they dont care how large an object is they are going to try and swallow it....whole slice of bread, whole huge dandilion leaf, non-edible things like a price tag that came off some lumber my husband bought.....a chunk of shingle that blew off our roof in a storm....a chip from a broken ceramic plant pot....OY!

It makes me worry they will choke! I have been cutting every treat up itty bitty- apples- everything....I know I am being OCD but I have had to pull all kinds of stuff out of their beaks/throats on occasion and I hate to think what wouldve happened if I hadn't....

Then they do that weird 'neck' jerk, liek they are trying to make something stuck go down....Ohhhh, it makes me so nervous!

am I just over protective?!

e

yuckyuck.gif

They are total garbage disposals, aren't they?

I went over to visit my neighbor's 3 week-olds, and he was feeding them popcorn. It was HUGE for their little necks, and they kept choking it down, with wonky neck-dances...occasionally someone would lift a leg, like they needed to work it down with a little foot action!

I don't know how they didn't choke, but I walked away and they were all still alive.

Last edited:
Yep, suck things down they will try. From scraps, foot long apple peels, baby snakes, mice, you name it they will try to swallow it. Haven't had a chicken ever choke to death yet.

After I discovered mine ate the plastic guard off of an 18" box fan, I quit worrying their eating habits. Not to mention how much Styrofoam they have gone through.
tongue.png

When my adults were youngsters last summer, the RIR went running around the back yard one day, a jiggly grey thing clenched in her beak. The BSL and BR were in hot pursuit.

It was a latex balloon. I never did get it away from her, nor did I ever see it again.
hu.gif

My DH laughs at me, but I always cut everything up in little pieces before I take it out to my girls. Even the leftovers from everyone's plate, I cut em up.

Tonight I gave my 15 day old chicks their first treat...made corned beef and cabbage and I washed one of the outer cabbage leafs and chopped it up in teensy tiny pieces. They LOVED it!

My DH really does laugh and rolls his eyes at me about this though.

Back
Top Bottom