I am shaking...can't believe it.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bragabit, Sep 23, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    So I have all my windows open...beautiful day. Then all the sudden every single adult chicken starts barking. I look out and see nothing. I run out to the pasture because I have two hens with chicks and chicks in a pen. I get out there and all my chicks are gone 30 chicks!!! The broody hens are barking like dogs and ticked off. My adult hens are in the coop bawk-bawk-growl. I look over and a hawk is on my fence post. It is dark colored with a light tail (what breed??) I step towards it but it only fly's up into one of my trees. So I start the head count process. All hens and rooster accounted for. But my 6 free range broody chicks are gone and the mommy hens are ticked. I check my pen and all my chicks are gone. So I start to really worry. The hens are still freaking out so I yelled at the hawk and he finally flew away. Mean time the broody hens start their mommy-to-baby bawk-bawk call, and suddenly baby chicks start emerging from all parts of the pasture. They had been laying flat in the grass. I run back over to my pen and make my mommy call that I use for my hand raised baby chicks and they start appearing from all sorts of hiding places.. So my baby's that I am raising are safe. They are in a covered run. But my hens, rooster and broody raised chicks are still in the open. I think part of the problem was my DH put a antelope meat bone out for the dog and the smell might of brought the hawk in. I don't know what to do [​IMG] I can't cover my pasture, and the coop is too small to lock the hens in it. Meanwhile I am so proud that my rooster and adult hens were able to sound the alert to the baby chicks could all hide!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yikes, scary - now that hawk knows they are there, they will be back, I bet!

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I'm so glad they are OK !!! You got Lucky !! Smart Chickens

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Whew! I am SO glad your flock is safe!

Isn't it amazing how those chicks can just flatten out into invisibility?? The first time I saw that with my GrandChick, I was amazed. There was Buffy, the hatch mom, all puffed up but stock still, all the other chickens under or behind something, the rooster looking up at the sky, and no sign of the GrandChick. Then the rooster sounded the all clear, and poof! the GrandChick appeared out of the grass like magic, where she had flattened herself.

Amazing.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Close call! I would be shaking too! How wonderful that all are OK!
    I hope you can come up with a way to keep that hawk away! I have lots of ground cover,. but I am afraid for my flock!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Aww what a cute story! I'm so glad the babies were hiding and safe!!!

I'm sure the hawk will be back, is there anyway you can put the mamma and the babies in the safe run?

Also, cd's and fishing line tied to the trees and fences will sometimes help scare the hawks away...

7. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    So glad they all came out...I can only imagine what it looked like...like the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz!! LOL!! Instinct...flock behavior and the Roo are doing what they're supposed to do!! Ya know....what we have done in the past with the field and chicks/adolecents free ranging? We construct A frame shelters....very basic....plant them all round the open space...for a shelter to run to if needed when they hear the alert and it sounds like they are instinctivley running for cover... That and tall grass...but we have fox issues so we cannot keep the grasses too tall, cuz then THEY hide in it!! But the little a frame shelters all around work real good....

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Move the bone .

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think part of the problem was my DH put a antelope meat bone out for the dog and the smell might of brought the hawk in.

Hawks don't hunt by sense of smell​

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Hawks don't hunt by sense of smell

Agreed...it wasn't the bone that brought the hawk in, it was the easy pickens of a yard full of chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by