I am sick....... Cuaght the Chicken bug and cant look back! 2 baby EE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CelticOaksFarm, Sep 14, 2009.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    So I have a bator full of RIR's and Silky eggs. Then I went and bought two EE little girls that are just the best thing ever to watch run and play. Yep Chicken fever has hit,

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm in the boat with ya. I just bought a bator cuz my girls aren't going broody. And I've already talked to DH about building me another coop and run.

Crazy chicken lady for sure.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I have it too! No hope of quarantine now! The most contagious disease of all, and one of the symptoms is knowing we have the disease and not caring. It gets worse after you start hatching eggs, by the way.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    You poor, poor people. There is no hope for you.

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I know. We're a lost cause.

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I went to the doctor over the same problem... he advised me to buy two ducks and that should balance out the chicken obsession.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh no! You're going to be fatal. No hope for you.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yep, we are in the middle of a contrat negotiation on a new house with 3 acres. I have the 1st coop all layed out on paper thanks to BYC! I am "borrowing" an idea I saw on here and running with it. 8x12 with a yard within a yard. A seperate guinnea yard and house planned for already. a Silky delux house that opens into the veggy garden. There are two out building there now. One is either 10x10 or 12x12 (cant remember) with windows and french doors. This will be my hatch house and supply storage.

Hubby has me looking for someone who can come push dirt on the back of the property so we can build up, level off and do more with it.

Set 13 silky eggs and set 18 rir today is day 4 for them, bator going strong temp at 100.8 and humidity at 45-50%

The new babies are on a routine already, they know everyone's voice and come running to you when you talk to them.

The first coop will be built within a week of our moving in. We hope to have a closing dat set by the end of this week or beginning of next. Until then I have a 10x10 building with great yard space and various cages for the little peeps to spread out in.
    So sad I am not the least bit concerned over this addiction.

9. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    It is a good kind of sickness though. We finished the coop last spring and my husband said that will do. Now we have a little coop next to it for the little Seramas we got, and already have the site picked out to clear next spring or this fall for the Bantam coop we will build. Now if I just get that incubator for Christmas.

10. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I started buying chicks the first of May. Got 12 to start but 4 were for someone else. I kept them all. Next thing I knew, there were 31 and I was building a 2nd coop. [​IMG]

It didn't stop there! Once my 2nd coop was done, I had room for more and I didn't have any Welsummers. [​IMG] And, all my Americauanas were actually EEs. [​IMG]

Solved that problem. [​IMG] Eight more chicks, but still no Buff Orps. [​IMG]

That was an easy fix. [​IMG]

Then the local feed store got in 300 chicks last Friday. [​IMG]

Now I have 23 chicks in the small coop [​IMG] (suitable for only 12 full grown chickens) and my 31 up in the big coop (will fit 50 chickens). Oops! No room for hatching my own chicks. [​IMG] Guess I'll have to add on to the big coop this fall. [​IMG]

Is this the addiction part you are talking about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by