I am sitting here crying - opinions please! (Update)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by momma's chickens, Oct 17, 2009.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    We adopted our golden lab / chow mix from the pound four years ago and he was a year old; he gave him to our son for Christmas that year with a note from Santa. He is a sweet dog, we have disabled 5 year old and he is very good with her. He takes food off the counter but I can put it away and live with that. Here is the problem. He is a killer; he has killed a dozen chickens in his lifetime, a duck, tried to kill two of my Nigerian dwarf goats and so forth. I honestly figured the issue was mine because 1) we weren't watching him enough or 2) we needed to keep the animals more protected. He has a kennel and that is where he goes when he is outside, we have to be very careful because he will run and then we have to hunt for him for hours. I freaked out during this time that he could be at one of the neighbor's houses killing, but not so far. I know if he escapes he chases deer. I want to stress that we are very careful and he has not escaped for about six months. It is annoying but necessary. Tonight though he attacked my daughter's hamster in our house. He broke the cage, which is in her room and I think now he broke its back.

I don't know what to do because if I do care about him and my family loves him. I also thought it was our fault because if he watched him better he wouldn't be able to kill but tonight broke the boundaries.

Do you think we should put him down, is there any other options. I hate to rehome him because it is not like he can't care for him and I don't want him to become somebody's else problem.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry! I don't know what to recommend ~ he is clearly a full member of the family ~ but I will keep you in my prayers.

3. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks!

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    this is tough...and I am sorry that you have this burden...a couple of things...first, you are not going to change the dog...he is what he is...and I personally would not put up with it...my other animals are as important to me as my dogs and if my dog were killing them off, he would have to go and I would not pass the problem on to someone else...there are so many good dogs in shelters who need homes and I would be short on tolerance for one who could not behave himself...again, I am sorry this is on you...it is yours to decide what to do...I have lived in packs of dogs all my life...I have four now and they simply must not trash the rest of the family of feathered and furred friends...

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i would put him down.

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I agree, but it is really hard. My 14 year old ds was just sitting here with my crying heartbreaking sobs. I need to add that he is 90 pounds and can drag me around the yard when he wants too and yes, I have resorted to a shock collar. My mom was the one watching him when the goat got out and he pulled her all over the yard and skinned her up badly. I guess when I write that, and read it from another person's standpoint it is apparant he isn't safe.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Well, that is a tough decision to make.

If your family truly loves this dog, you could try a behaviorist. And work hard on training under the behaviorists direction. If training fails, you could get rid of your other animals.

You could rehome the dog into a home where he will be the only pet. Rehome him and make sure that those who adopt him are absolutely aware that he is not good with other animals.

If you can't find him a good home and are unwilling to hire and follow the directions of a behaviorist, euthanizing seems to be the only humane option. [​IMG]

8. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    You should definitely put him down before he hurts a child. I would not risk having such a vicious dog on my property. It's really just a matter of time and place before he does it.

Sorry. I wish I had different advice but I think it is necessary for everyone's safety and you know it in your own heart I think.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have a hunting dog that would kill my chickens in a second if he could get to them. I think you just need to beef up security. We have a dog kennel for charlie, with patio blocks around the inside border so he cannot get out. we fenced in the entire yard too, and when the chickens are locked up, he can run around the yard. He comes in the house every night, but we keep our critters (bunny,guinea pigs, cockatiel) safe in their own areas. I guess if you really want to keep him, you need to find ways to keep worlds from colliding [​IMG] Where there's a will, theres a way [​IMG]

10. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    peeppeepeep, in the second sentence of my first post, I clearly state that is wonderful with my disabled child. I have did daycare for years, it is not people he is after and I disagree that he will go after them. He is a love with everybody, except he is big and an animal killer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by