1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am so excited....I have to tell someone

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by yadaguhtoo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I am going in a couple hours to look at a mini mare I am thinking about getting.....okay if she is healthy and friendly I will be getting her. I am so excited!!! She comes with her cart and harness but still needs to be finished to pull the cart. I can just see myself now taking my pony and cart down to the PO and local grocery store (rural area).
    Anybody with any advice on what to look for when buying a mini? or training one to cart? Anything would be appreciated. I had a horse when I was younger and lost him to old age but I imagine taking care of a mini is a little different.
    Thank you!......Did I say I am soooo excited!!! :)

2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    Look for good feet. Biggest issues with the little ones is founder heck its an issue with full sized horses too. ask them to show what she knows about the cart already ie if she line drives or hitches. have fun me and my husband would love to have a cart pony. depending on how big/tall you are if this mare doesn't work out a great option is a haflinger or fjord. either one of these is capable of carrying a full grown person to ride and many are broke also to drive. they aren't too bit though a bit bigger than a mini very hardy and typically easy keepers. When I get my horse it will one of these two broke to drive so that me and my husband enjoy it alone or together. Have fun but just remember if you have any doubts don't get her. In this economy there are some many people getting rid of really nice animals you are better not settling for a walking vet bill.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  3. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you for thr reply annanicole18,
    I have heard they are prone to founder which I will ask them to sign an agreement that she is healthy to thier knowlegde if I get her. My older horse that I had foundered before I got him, we had to be very careful with his feed, hay and a little grain only and an occasional hour or two on the lawn and that was it.
    They have agreed to hook her upto the cart so I can see what she knows which makes her sound really promising if she is already able to be hooked to the cart but, I think the first couple of months at least will be letting her settle in lots of grooming and petting and getting to know eachother. Wish me luck :)

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Do you know how to drive and harness, etc? You have to know what to as well as the mare!

5. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Nope, but I will be taking a crash course in the next few months :) it will be an adventure not only for the mare but me too!

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Look at her feet and also her teeth, mini horses are also know for awful teeth if not properly bred or cared for. I've seen some ugly teeth on some, if they still had them... LOL If you have a friend that has horses, have them go with you. Have the owner show you everything the mare knows. Find out the vets name they use and call them about her. Yes, lessons will be a good thing to know before you even think of carting on your own....... Even have someone evaluate her that does carting.

7. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    If you have the slightest doubt about anything, get a vet check! We can all sit here and tell you to look for this or that, but vets are trained to look for anything that isn't right.

8. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Lessons for you + training for the pony = long, healthy, happy partnership!

Congrats!

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Don't forget we want pictures!
    [​IMG]

10. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Well I bought her!! I am having the most adorable little sorrel mare with a flaxen mane and tail delivered to my house tomorrow. I am so happy. I was amazed how well behaved she is, I literally ran my hands all over her, picked up her feet, looked at her teeth and then we hooked up the harness on her (without cart) and I just kind of practiced walking behind her and giving her commands and she did great! I really expected her to act up a bit with a stranger but nope. I must say though she was not in the best living conditions, this lady has had her in her backyard in the middle of the city in about a 20x20 space for about a year now and is getting rid of her because her neighbors turned her in. She is not going to now what to do with the 1/3 of acre we have ready for her. It will take a lot of time just to get her into shape let alone hooking her to the cart and having her work, it will definately be baby steps. I did take my brother with me because he and his wife bred mini horses for about 10 years and he gave her the okay and really liked how friendly she is. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship :) and of course I will post pics of her tomorrow after she arrives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by