I am so happy, my recue Mallard is doing so much better

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Happyflower, May 28, 2010.

1. Happyflower

Happyflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    Here I thought I was going to lose her a couple of days ago. She has learned that she needs to lean against something to help keep her balance to groom herself and she is walking again, taking steps, exploring around us. I think it must have been a strained leg that she got when she escaped because two weeks later she is walking again like before.

I am just SO happy! I think she has a very good chance to make it! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Yay! I had a Mallard duckling that I thought I was going to lose for the longest time, but they're such resilient things, aren't they? He's doing great today, and will turn a year old in a few weeks! [​IMG]

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    thats so good! i hope she makes a full recovery. good luck!!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Great news...I hope she continues to improve. [​IMG]

5. Happyflower

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks everyone! I will upload a current video so you can all see. She has so many of her feathers in now and that might explain for her constant need to groom.

6. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

yay! great news, hopes she makes full recovery!
    p.s yes i am on youtube [​IMG]

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I hope it makes it! I lost 2 of my 3 last Summer to what I think was seizures. I was really worried since the remaining one would have to be released alone but it pulled through! He even came back after a long winter to play with my ducks and say hello to me! You can imagine how amazed I was to look outside and see him! Ive heard ducks come back but didnt think mine really would. Its the best feeling ever knowing you saved something and then it comes back to say thank you! Good luck with your little ducky!

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    [​IMG] i'm sooo happy for you and your baby!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Thats really great. Loosing animals is so hard, so it makes it all the better when you see one getting better and happier.

10. Happyflower

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    I found a very large guinea pig cage today at Goodwill's half off sale for only $3.50. Now she has more room and what I like about the guinea pig cage it that it has higher sides on it (since piggies like to fling their bedding around) so the duck poo does squirt out of the cage on the floor. ew! lol I also bought a ton of bennie babies for her to sleep with, so I have extra before I need to wash them. I find it helps her wedge herself against them when she tries to flip back over when she flops. Plus she loves to sleep with them. It is so cute! It is funny because if you try to remove it, she really protests. [​IMG]

Today she ate a huge slug and it made me want to gag, but she was so happy with herself-I love that high pitched cheeps she makes when she eats bugs. My other 2 rouen ducks came by to check out the duckling and they didn't try to charge at her for the first time. I am wondering if her size will be a problem (she is a mallard) and my rouen ducks are so much larger and are "a pair"

Thanks everyone for all your support! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by