I am SO jelious of all your new babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyPooh, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    You people are so lucky! Long story short, right now I have a breeding pair of hatch games and the first egg was layed on the 4th of July. I accidentally took the egg out of the nest on my daily rounds of egg collecting and chicken whispering. I took the egg to the house where I realized that I got a egg i wasn't supposed to (opps).
    Since I was going to let the hen set I planned to return the egg but got side tracked. So, later on that day I saw the towel I had layed the egg in sitting on the family golf cart, trying to clean up for the party to come I snatched the towel up and what-da-ya-know the egg go flying and splat! The hen hasn't layed any eggs since.
    So now I fear i won't have any babies for a while since the hen wasn't supposed to be laying anyway (she was too young)! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Let me get this straight. Your pullet popped out an egg, that was fertile. you broke the egg now you don't think you will have any more eggs soon. From what I have heard, It can be unhealthy for a chick to hatch out of a pullet's eggs. There could be many risks. I am sure you also have a rooster.

3. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Well, wouldn't a breeding pair include a rooster?

4. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]
    Yes we have a rooster and this was the pullets first egg but I don't think she was too too early. I am still very disappointed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I did not see breeding sorry I thought it said BROODY.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by