I am so new to chickens and BYC...can I get some help on what breed and gender this chick is??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mis gallinitas, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mis gallinitas

mis gallinitas Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    Good morning all,
    I am so excited to be on this chicken journey! This is my first post on BYC, I am wondering if I could get some help on determining breed and gender of one of my chicks?
    This is an "assorted white" that I got from my local feed store...they get their chicks from a mail order hatchery. I have no idea what breed it is....He/She is now 7 weeks old...
    What do you experts think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!
    She's definitely a pullet. Looks like a Leghorn...?

3. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    thank you, lightchick for taking a look and responding....pullet sounds good to me! [​IMG]
    leghorn was my guess...she is much smaller than all of my other 7 week olds...but my other breeds run larger in general (black australorp, salmon faverolle, silver laced wyandotte, buff orpington, barred plymouth rock, rhode island red and ameraucana--i think, but might be easter eggers...will be posting on those shortly, because I am thoroughly confused!---

4. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sounds like you have a lovely assortment of breeds! If the 'ameraucana' was from a hatchery then it is most likely a Easter Egger. EE's are one of my favorites because you never know what it's going to end up looking like!

5. jnckids

jnckids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    North Shore, Illinois

Agreed. And the variety of egg color.

[​IMG]

There's mine!

6. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    Hi Lightchick...it's been pretty amazing just watching how much they have changed and grown in the last 7 weeks....i can't wait to see what they all look like as "grown ups".
    i posted photos of my "Ameraucanas" if you could take a look, I would be so interested in what you think....of course, I started a new thread and not certain how to get you there, because I am not quite certain how to navigate BYC yet....learning so many new things![​IMG]

7. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    Handsome Guy!!

8. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    jnckids...that comment was for your EE..."Handsome Guy!"[​IMG]

9. jnckids

jnckids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    North Shore, Illinois
    Actually, she lays blue eggs. LOL. EE's are a pain. I almost got rid of her because I was certain she was going to crow but instead she laid an egg.

10. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    seriously??? i totally thought she was a HE... See? I know nothing! total newbie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by