I am so not a builder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SG_Chicken, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I know what I want to do but I am not a builder by any stretch of the imagination. Hubby probably wont help me build this but I am now wanting to build a 2.5' high platform to put my coop on.

The dimensions of the are 38" x 48" and I don't know how to build. [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hmm. Would it work just to put legs on the coop? I built a 4' by 4' coop and used 4" by 4" posts at each corner, attached with 3 1/2" screws and some metal thingies (not sure what they're called, not exactly a builder myself). I had them cut the 4" by 4" post at Home Depot into 4 equal lengths for me, since I don't use power saws.

3. SG_Chicken

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I am not sure that would work since the coop has thin walls. I am wanting to do the platform so that it also is more stable. I would hate for it to collapes.

4. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

it would be good to see a pic of how it is now...... you'll get a lot more useful answers with a pic.

although the posts, as mentioned above, should work if the base of your coop is strong.

Platform would take yer hubby about 2 hours to build + time to the store.... [​IMG]

5. SG_Chicken

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    [​IMG]

This one shows how thin the walls are

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. HurlyBurly

HurlyBurly New Egg

Jul 16, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's pretty basic, but this is what I'm building for my coop right now - the dimensions fit my coop, so adjust your sizes accordingly. The material is 4x4 for the legs and 2x4 for the stretchers and 1/2 CDX plywood for the top.

The hardware store will cut your material to length if asked - usually!

I'm using pocket screws to hold it together, but you could also use lag bolts or other hardware.

[​IMG]

7. SG_Chicken

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    oh yes that is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by