1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am so so so so disappointed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Standard Hen, May 15, 2008.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    As many of you know I have my first ever broody, and out of all my hens the only. Well, no longer. This afternoon my daughter and were back there doing chores and she wanted to get out of the little coop as I could see her at the door. So I said oh maybe she just wants to scratch a little and will go right back in.
    After about 15 minutes of her dust bathing she did not look like she was going to so my daughter looked in the coop and moved all the hay which we thought she was covering the eggs with. I told her to look for pips etc. I know she was excited even though she things I have lost my mind.
    THERE WERE NO EGGS,,,NONE. I wanted to cry, I kept on saying are you sure, are you sure??? She cleaned the whole smelly mess out and not even a shell, mind you she was initially sitting on 16 eggs. Now I know why the coop stunk so bad.
    I will assume she ate them all and I hope someone can enlighten this first time not to be broody chicken mother as to what might have happened. I was so looking forward to Saturday and yesterday built the little pen for them in the big pen,,,,,I want to cry! [​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    It probably was not her.

Was she housed with other hens? It is not uncommon that other will peck and eat eggs.

also, a rat or snake coud do the same........

...that stinks, sorry

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Our Silver Phoenix hen did the same; she started with eleven, ended up with none. It was her first time going broody and we were really hoping for chicks from her, she's a favorite. I think it was her that was eating them, and I think she ate them cause they were not viable; they can tell, eventually, whether or not they're going to hatch. Hers dissapeared one or two a day. The others will eat them, also, though. It is dissapointing and I know how you feel, but there will be other chances. Good luck [​IMG].

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I know from experience that if a broody accidently breaks an egg she will eat it, but for her to eat all of them seems really strange.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry...darn, that is disappointing...
    She may have eaten a couple, but I think something else had some too.

6. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    When was the last time you checked the nest b4 this incident....and was there eggshell and yolk or anything left over....it sounds to me like an intruder....I felt so bad about gracie sitting on her nest with such determination, I fed her while she was sitting (I had to kick her off the nest a few times). But for them to eat that many eggs without any evidence leaves me with questions....and I wouldn't want to go through that again if there were anything I could do to prevent it....I'm so sorry. I was so excited during Gracies 1st n only brood....I knew the time was up that it had been long enough and was giving her two more days b4 I tossed the eggs....and sure enough....all nine just took 25 days to hatch....Those last days I was so depressed....She'll get back into it!

7. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well, I had been checking on her just peeking in the coop. She was alone in a little dog house so it was not other hens. The few times I saw her off the nest I could never see the eggs because it looked like they were all covered with hay and I would have had to really reach in to look and was worried about disturbing her. The coop is pretty predator proof but on the front small door I have chicken wire so if a rat could squeeze through that than I suppose it is possible. I have not seen a one since I buried the poison in the holes last summer and not any evidence of a one at all. I am also sure they were viable as I sold some hatching eggs to someone and he said they were all fertile when he candles them. UGH,,,,I was so waiting for this weekend and imagining what they were going to look like and so excited! Oh well,,,,maybe next year. Thanks everyone for your input.

8. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    It sounds like a snake. Most other animals or the hen break the eggs open right there and eat them (skunks, rats, opposums, ect).

9. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I do not think we have large egg eating snakes around here and they are just starting to come out now. Has anyone else from New England had snakes eat their eggs?

10. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have black snakes or any variety. A two footer would have no problem eating (rather swallowing) eggs. A snake is the only creature I can think likely to make that many disappear shell and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by