I am so upset............

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sweeterdeeter42, Apr 16, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I am so upset. My turkey hen or tom killed my favorite chicken. [​IMG] When I latched the door between the chickens side and the turkeys side inside the coop yesterday, there was a couple inch gap at the bottom where the straw was in between the door frame and the door that I thought was way to small for any chicken to get through. My sweet little Polish pullet squeezed her way through, and today she is destroyed in the turkeys yard. The only reason she would have squeezed through such a tiny space is to follow me out. I am so upset. She was the most friendly chicken I have ever had in 20+ years. She was also my only Polish. I dont even have any resources to get another one. I had to drive half way across state just to get her. [​IMG] What makes the entire situation worse is that I am sitting here balling my eyes out, and my husband doesnt even comfort me. He said, "yeah, so what did you expect to happen?" Well obviously not this!!! My other turkeys never once bothered the chickens, and they were all together. These current turkeys werent even raised here, I have only had them a month.And they are completely separated from the chickens. except by three or so inches, apparently. Its not even a small space that they are in!!! I dont understand why they would be so vicious. The hen is not setting so it was not because of that. I am just so incredibly upset. My poor little girl. She must have been so scared. [​IMG] Needless to say, I have a breeding pair of SQ Royal Palms for sale.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad!

4. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am so sorry for your loss! Losing your favorite is so tough and then to have NO MORAL SUPPORT from your husband is the WORST!!! I can see my husband being EXACTLY the same way God forbid we lose one of our favorites..."It's just a chicken" I can hear him saying! Sometimes!!!!!

Again, so sorry for your loss!!!!

5. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I am so sorry about your chicken [​IMG]

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] so very sorry.

7. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss.

8. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Oh my, I'm so so sorry! I also lost a Polish that was my favorite. They sure are sweet aren't they? I know it hurts really bad but try not to beat yourself up about it. You tried to give her a good life and no one is perfect. I hope you are able to get some more Polish. Just so sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'm very sorry for your loss; however, if you really like the look of the Royal Palms reconsider keeping them. It is not at all unusual for any breeding male of any species to become aggressive during the breeding season. Young raised from them in conjunction with chickens may or may not be as aggressive. Again, sorry for your loss, but it's just birds being birds. The tom thought that he was protecting his territory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by