I am so worried/excited/nervous

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Mar 10, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ok so my 8 new Barred rocks are coming at the end of the month. I was reading a posts on here that were talking about chicks not being in the box , half the chicks being dead on arrival. I am so excited to be getting my first babies but am so nervous about things.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I feel the same way. [​IMG]

3. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine aren't arriving until may and I'm already nervous. This despite the fact that I usually have a magic touch with critters. I hope I don't mess up!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    It's OK folks-- it is normal to worry the 1st time, or if you ever had problems.

I got mine ALL the way to Michigan from Texas (Ideal) in just 3 days... all alive ... only 2 died a few days later due to "birth defects".

Take a deep breath, and picture your happy, healthy fuzz-butts when they get there!

YES-- be prepared for anything that might happen... but don't let it stress ya!
    [​IMG]

5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks that makes me feel better. I will be so relived when they all get here.

6. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Me too, I'm so nervous! I called the PO today to give my phone # to them when they arrived, and the woman who answered was so cavalier about my chickens. I was like "HELLO lady, they are baby chickens and yes I want to pick them up and not have them delivered!" [​IMG]

7. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Has anyone bought chicks and had them not vaccinated?

8. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Don't worry. If you worry now, when they get there you will have worried for nothing. I know because I grew up with chickens and I still get excited and nervous! I suppose it is just someting that happens!!!

Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

9. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I'm nervous too! Mine are coming next week. 25 Silver Spangled Hamburgs. I had chickens as a kid but I wasn't personally involved much in their day to day care - just threw out food for them sometimes so I've been reading and trying to learn about caring for chicks. I have my brooder all set and my shed is being delivered tomorrow (it's a kit- 10x10 wooden shed from Home Depot) and hopefully I can have it built by the time they are big enough to go in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by