I am SOO mad!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkieroo, Jun 19, 2010.

1. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Okay I'm actually crying as I'm writing this, so here's the deal I have a big old Rhode island leghorn mix hen and a silkie rooster and they have been fighting for the last two months ( the hen was the leader) and a yesterday she spent the whole day in the coop and i thought she might be getting sick but today when she jumped out of the coop he "waltzed" over to her... and she ran away [​IMG] it was awful she was so strong its so... wrong any tips how to get her to be leader again? I'm actually considering getting rid of the rooster he's an awful rooster anyway.

Thanks for letting me vent,
    Maddie

2. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    [​IMG]

3. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    He is just being a rooster. Doesnt matter if you get another one, the male will show his dominance over the hen. Its a rooster thing. [​IMG]

Rammy

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I think it's in their nature for the roo to be the leader of the pack. I recently added a roo to mine too and my "Queen Hen" chest butted him once and then she subsided to not only him, but also the hens that I purchased with him (polish flock). But she is a polish too so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I hope it works out for you. Maybe you can get rid of this rooster since he's aweful and buy you a small cockeral and allow him to grow up with your hens. Maybe that would help.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Roosters are ment to lead over hens, and they do, most of the time... my smallest rooster is bossed around by my big roosters and my hens.

6. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Your rooster is supposed to be in charge, its his job to lead and protect.

I'm sure your hen is just fine with being his right-hand gal, #2 aint so bad!

7. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I know that hes a natural leader but hes so mean to her!! and she is like two times bigger than him!! I'm just annoyed with him i geuss [​IMG] Oh well i'll deal. *sigh*

Thanks for the reassurence!
    Maddie

8. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    if it does up set you re home him. It has to be fun , having chickens not stressful.
    I do not tolerant mean rooster. They are the first one that need to go.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by