I am Soooo deeply confused

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I have seen pictures of the hovabator 1602n on with eggs and in pictures i have seen both red venty things in it while incubation. I have been told to take one of them out during the incubation process... Is this True?

like had 1 red out during the 21 days or only take 1 out during the lockdown?

i bought a steak thermometer today...
    this is my set up right now.

[​IMG]

it is still air... no fan.
    is this right or wrong?
    should i have taken one of the red things out?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

take them out and toss them in a drawer somewhere.

The embryos will need oxygen (fresh air exchange) as incubation progresses.. even at "lockdown" so forget you even have them.. should you ever feel the need to increase humidity just add more surface area to your water (like damp paper towels or a sponge)

if you keep vets blocked you risk the death of the chicks in the shell due to carbon dioxide poisoning.. so get rid of the plugs

1 person likes this.
  3. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    but this confuses me...
    this lady had the 2 vents in during the incubation it looks like

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bobbieschickss-member-page

plus the instructions say:

Vent Plugs
    Red vent plugs are located on the top of the incubator. These should be removed when the incubator is used at altitudes greater than 6000 feet above sea level. One or both may also be removed during or after the hatch if water drops appear on the window due to high humidity. This will help to dry the chics and the incubator. If removing the plugs does not reduce the humdity enough, it may be necessary to prop up the top slightly to facilitate drying. If so, be sure to maintain proper temperature. Alternately, the top may be removed quickly and moisture wiped from the windows to aid drying. Replace the plugs after the chicks are removed.

(i'm not at 6000 feet above sea level)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I tend to agree with this post. One of the first lines on the link said, "this is our FIRST time". With a still air I would think you need the air flow.

5. yinepu

Just because she is showing them in doesn't mean it's right

If you want to keep the plugs in (vents closed) then fine.. they are your eggs.. but if they die in the shell so be it

BUT if you ever wonder why people have chicks die in the shell at 'lockdown" chances are it's either from incubation humidity being too high (drowning in the shell) or from lack of oxygen (carbon dioxide poisoning)

My family has been hatching out chicks, ducklings, turkeys, peafowl and so on for hundreds of years and we learned early on that there should be plenty of air exchange.. I have no idea why the manufacturers of the styro incubators even bother to include plugs since it's just plain dumb.. or include vents that can be opened or closed... unless they want you to fail so you have to buy their more expensive fancier incubator down the road

Long story short.. they are your eggs.. do what you want.. but from years and years of experience I can tell you that the vents need to be OPEN through out hatch and "lockdown"

6. yinepu

By the way.. you may be able to get away with those plugs IN if you are only hatching out a few eggs.. but more eggs means more embryos.. embryos that NEED oxygen

So if you have a lot of eggs in there you will need more air...

so why even risk it?

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    below is a paste from https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and I think this explains why
    Areas of MOST IMPORTANCE in Hatching EGGS

Ventilation (Oxygen), Temperature, Humidity, Egg Turning/Positioning

[​IMG][​IMG]

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
    Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process. While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. The embryo's oxygen requirement will increases during development and especially just before hatching when they begin lung functions. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange. I remove both vent plugs for my entire hatch.
    NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown

8. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    [​IMG] I just ran into my laundry room and pulled out my ventilation plug. Thank you once again, Sally Sunshine. I have most of your pages bookmarked by now, they are very informative.

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by