I am soooo EXCITED!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by justusnak, Jun 18, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

OK, so I have this one egg customer...she is so wonderfull! She buys a few dozen at a time, every other week or so. So we were talking last week....about other farm animals. She will be looking to get a milking goat in the fall. I told her we were looking into getting a few spring lambs to keep the field down, and into the freezer in the fall. So she asked about the wool...said she spins! I have always wanted to learn to spin....so she envited me over in 2 weeks( her daughter is getting married out of state) and she will teach me to spin. Now, get this...she has an extra spinning wheel....to " loan me indefinately" OK...sooooo....where can I get some good, clean, CHEAP wool!?? Anyone out there shaveing thier sheep, Llamas?? I am so excited....looks like family might get home made gifts again! LOL Now if I could only learn to Knit. LOL

2. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Sounds like a fun thing to learn! I've always wanted to learn how to spin wool. Enjoy! [​IMG]

3. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Perhaps, rather than sheep for meat, you should use sheep for wool to nibble the grass down?

We have a ranch nearby which does, and they use and sell the wool for spinning.

Congratulations on the lessons and "loan!" [​IMG]

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Fun, fun! Glad you're going to have an opportunity to do something unique that you'll like!
    If you're ever looking for some really unusual materials to spin, I've got neighbors who have YAKS (Can you believe it??!?) who told me they are having a hard time figuring out how to market the yaks & their wool. I can connect you with them if you'd like to play with that sometime [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Speckledhills....I would love to try the yak wool. Hmmm, do you know how much they sell it for!? I have NO IDEA what that stuff goes for. LOL
    Thanks! This is going to be fun!

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Search around your area for small Alpaca farms (google). They usually shear the animals in the Spring and summer and, I think, early fall. The fiber from the animals is nice, a bit costly. Don't forget you have to learn to card the fiber before you can spin it. There's alot to it, alot more than what people think. Have fun though. It's always nice ot learn something new. I would like to learn to knit also, but I believe I will just stick to crocheting. It's easier to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My DH, DS and myself went to an Alpaca farm. They told us they can get up to $6.00 an ounce, yep $6.00 an ounce for the fiber. . Good luck and have fun spinning.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We got the spring lambs. We have been trying to find someone to teach us how to card and prepare the wool for spinning - and to teach us to spin! Good for you! Have fun!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How cool, Deb!

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Sorry to be so long in writing back on this! I talked to my neighbors & they said for me to check back with them in a few weeks. They will check on prices (They aren't sure either because they've never sold any) and see if they're able to get some hair from the yaks still (Usually people brush out the hair for sale earlier in spring). I told them it's not urgent (since I know you're going to be working with some other fibers first) and that you aren't necessarily going to want a lot.
    I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them after they find out info and you can let me know if you'd like to go ahead and arrange with them.
    Fun possibilities! Hope you enjoy your new venture. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by