1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I am soooo in love with...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyb1969, Jul 7, 2010.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

my Welsh Harlequins. [​IMG] I have 3 ducks and a drake, and I can't even describe how much I enjoy them. [​IMG] They're beautiful, EXCELLENT foragers, and just plain fun to have around. When I go outside and "quack", no matter where they are they immediately start talking back to me and come running as fast as their short legs will carry them. They know that it's time to get sprayed down with the garden hose. [​IMG] They have their own pool, but they seem to enjoy the hose much more...silly ducks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, goodness they are SO pretty! Are they laying yet? Will you be selling eggs? I think I may "need" to have some! [​IMG]

Do they get along with chickens?

3. shelleyb1969

Not laying yet...but the drake has been getting quite frisky in the pool. [​IMG] So hopefully not too much longer? They're 8 weeks old now.

And yes, I'll have PLENTY of hatching eggs from them. I'll also be hatching them myself and selling sexed day olds. [​IMG] You just let me know WHEN you want some, and I'll hook you up! [​IMG]

My Harlequins free range with my chickens and do just fine. Everyone stays to themselves and stays out of each other's way. Sometimes, though, one of the ducks will chase off a hen if she comes too close. But no major conflicts. The ducks are ALWAYS foraging, whereas the chickens would prefer to lay up under the lilac bushes.

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They are only 8 weeks? Holy cow, they look HUGE!

5. shelleyb1969

They ARE bigger than what I anticipated/wanted, but I love them. [​IMG] They have huge personality and have totally won me over.

An upside is that they're a great meat size. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    And maybe will lay wombo eggs??

7. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Where did you get them? Maybe I'll get some hatching eggs because those look like some SQ ducks....I also love wh's.......

8. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    They are so beautiful! Let us know when they start laying! I may have to buy a few from you, as my babies will be all grown up then:(

9. shelleyb1969

Quote:My WHs came from Metzer Farms. I only wanted a trio but had to get an extra duck to fill the order. And I had full intentions of selling one of the ducks...and I emphasize HAD. I should've sold her before they grew up and feathered in 'cause now I'm too attached to all of them. [​IMG] But if the right person comes along with some duckie friends for her, I think I could part with one...maybe. [​IMG]

10. shelleyb1969

Quote:Will do! [​IMG] I need to read up...I don't even know the general laying age for WHs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by