I am sooooo eggcited!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick_newbie, Sep 13, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I got my first little eggy today!!! Just a cute little egg sitting in the nesting box, thanking God that they figured out what they were for. I wasn't really expecting any eggs from the first set of hens until next month. These ladies are from May and I just thought that it was too early for any eggs yet!

We are just so eggcited! The kids were just giddy![​IMG]

Now remind me, the first few eggs are worth keeping, right???

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Hmmm, I didn't think to ask that question. I put my first and second eggs from my Exchequer in the fridge. Wondering now if I should keep them?

3. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I thought that I had read that the first couple eggs weren't very good somewhere, but of course when you want to find it you can't!!!

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I've heard that they shouldn't be incubated until they reach the full sized egg for that breed. Otherwise the chick can grow too large for the smaller shell and die. Don't know for sure if it's true though...

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    They're little but taste just the same. Some may not have yolks; who cares? As my mom used to say, "good things come in small packages."

6. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] I am very excited for you! [​IMG] I am waiting for my 1st one.....could be any time now.... [​IMG]

7. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    OK I must of heard things wrong. I can't wait for the next one now!! DH says "I suppose that you will be checking for eggs all the time." Naw just twice a day!!

Thanks to all that answered. It is truely nice to have this board to go to and get the answers that a person needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by