I am Sooooooo DISAPPOINTED in the girls & the biggest little rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilBizzy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll start off with the girls. There are 6 of them, and for a few weeks, we were getting 4 eggs a day. There would be 2 in the nestbox, and 2 in the entry hall of their coop. Then I finally found the stash of eggs from the one chicken( in neighbors shed). I locked her up for a few days, and she's laying in the coop now.
    So that makes 5 of 6 confirmed laying. Lately, though, theres been 1 egg in the nestbox, and 2 in the coop, and none anywhere else. I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find the eggs. I'm missing 3 or 4 a day. I just don't get it.

The biggest little rooster came at me today. I was bringing them a warm oatmeal treat. He was giving me dirty looks. As I turned to walk out of the run, I looked back, and there he was running at me. It happened so fast, I don't even remember if he jumped at me or just ran. I reacted by giving him a hard push with my foot that sent him back a few feet. He didn't come running back, but I was in the process of exiting the run.
    I know I should have chased him down and held him, but I had a bowl ful of oatmeal for the little ones, and I also wasn't dressed to deal with a rooster.

I'm just so disappointed in him. He had changed my stereotypical thinking that roosters were all mean and nasty. Now for him to go and do this.........

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    A rooster is what a rooster is. Your girls are reacting to the short days and cooler days. We have all experienced a drop in egg production. Out of 17 laying hens, I'm gettin 4-7 eggs a day. It's just what a hen does. Hens need 14 hrs of light to lay. So, if you don't provide artifical light in the coop, expect less eggs.

3. My eggs have really gone down in numbers. I expected a 50 percent loss, but I am getting 2 or so eggs out of a boat load of laying hens. So, do not feel bad. As far as the rooster goes, Some will just flog the crud out of you and some will be quiet little gentlemen. I have one Cochin that tries to flog my wife everytime she enters the barn. When I go in I just take my foot under his butt and toss him. He gets the message and pretty much leaves me alone. You can encourage this behaviour, so try at first to ignor the little turd. I call my Cochin roo "Dumplins" becuase I think the wife has plans for him. It is just a matter of time. The other day she had a blade in her hand and the roo made the mistake of following her. I think he came within a few inches of losing his life that day.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The biggest little rooster is just checking to see if he can't make you one of his "ladies" [​IMG] Like an overbearing boor in a bar you just need to set him straight!! You're just too cute for him to resist! [​IMG]

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Your hens are perfectly normal. I have 25 hens and I am only getting 5 or 6 eggs a day. They are responding to the shorter days and most are going through a molt. Although I wish someone would tell the four I have that are broody that they SHOULD NOT be doing this at this time of the year.
    I will begin giving them artificial light around the first of the year, I like them all to complete their molt and rest a month or two before sending them back into egg production.
    As far as the rooster, you need to deal with him now. I would seperate him from the hens. I would put him in the run and the hen inside. Then chase him, catch him, hold him. I would do this several times. Also, if he comes at you again act like a rooster, kick him hard on his first attack and chase him and give him a couple more kicks, you obviously have to use common sense when fighting back, don't kick him like you would a soccer ball but enough to send him several feet, kind of get your foot under him and lift and kick. (basically you are flogging him like another rooster will do).
    I have had chickens for 40+ years and I only had one rooster that ended up in a pot because he would not submit to me. You have to be the alpha rooster and stay that way. I always pick my current rooster up at least once a week and carry him around for a few minutes to let him know I am still much stronger than he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by