I am sorely DISPLEASED!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rainstorm, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Ok I went to a animal auction yesterday to get a couple grown ducks to add to my birds.. I was not planning on it but watching them bring out the animals, they had the seats so you couldnt see them completly well. They brought out a cage of Baby button quails, look about maybe 2-3 weeks old, All you could see good was maybe 5-8 that size, Ok I been wanting some buttons I have a pen, I got food, I won them for 50 cent each, I SEE WHY I WON THEM FOR 50 CENT NOW.

In a lil tiny hunk of junk of a cage they had 33 buttons stuffed in there! 25 of them are tiny they could have not been more then a few hours old! some were even still wet looking! No food No water No light, and they were freezing cold!, and the holes in the pen was big enough for their feet to hang through, the bigger ones was stepping all over them, and they looked just awefull! the poor little things could barely move! I worked with them most of the night trying to teach em to drink and eat, I lost 4 so far. the rest seem to be doing pretty well now except for a couple tiny ones who are still weak. and they treated their animals aweful. the guy showing off the animals picked up the rabbits like they were a ragdoll. held the chickens by just a wing or one leg while they flopped around, All the animals sat in that hot barn for hours without water or food stuffed in cages, I seriously saw one cage maybe 3x3 at the most completly filled with roosters. They were all stepping on eachother or planning couldnt move at all. I dont know maybe its just me but thats cruel! I am never going back!

PS. I never been to a auction before and all I heard was this was suppose to be a 'good' place. B.S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Sadly, it seems like a lot of auctions run that way, at least around here. It is very rare to find someone around here who think of their animals as pets...very rare. They are just money for most people, and I think the way they treat them would LOOSE them money, not gain them money.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    THe one time i went to an auction i was displeased also. Pretty scary stuff there. I didnt buy anything..

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    people at actions are selling food not pets. Well that's their mentality. I left one in tears and never looked back! makes me sick~
    Sorry for your experience and thank god you SAVED them!!

5. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    dodge city has a auction once a month that we some times attend. to see what some people will come up with to cram animals are shocking....i once saw a baby goat crammed in to a wired cat cage it was to disturbing...a horse with it's windpip mangled..this year we only bought 3 pigs from the auction...all in bad shape when w first got them......but dodge city being what it is and those people wanting quick cash in there pockets is disturbing

6. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Oh my! I've thought about attending an auction like this here in Maine. I won't now, I would want to save EVERYTHING!

How cruel. No one is raising button quail for food...why would they treat them like that?!?!? I would be sorely DISPLEASED as well.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Its going to come as a surprise, but the chicken world outside of BYC thinks chickens are livestock, not pets.
    The notion of them being 'babies', living in the house with a diaper on or taking the air as beloved companions is whacked to most "regular" people.

I know, I know, the horror of such a thing, right?

But we are still in the minority. Gotta get used to it.

Look at the bright side - .$50 each.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Its going to come as a surprise, but the chicken world outside of BYC thinks chickens are livestock, not pets.
    The notion of them being 'babies', living in the house with a diaper on or taking the air as beloved companions is whacked to most "regular" people.

For me, it wasnt that, Dave. It was how they handled the animals. It just wasnt right. IMO.. I dont care that they were gonna eat them. But there was no need too handle them they way they did. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  9. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I am totally fine with people seeing them as livestock, I even still see them as livestock and they aren't in my house any longer than absolutly necessary. What I'm not okay with is the way they treat them. From a business standpoint, it seems like an animal who is prime condition and perfect health would bring a lot more money than dirty animals in cages that are too small for them.

I don't know, I guess I just bring the animal lover side of me and the business side of me together.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What I'm not okay with is the way they treat them. From a business standpoint, it seems like an animal who is prime condition and perfect health would bring a lot more money than dirty animals in cages that are too small for them.

I don't know, I guess I just bring the animal lover side of me and the business side of me together........

For me, it wasnt that, Dave. It was how they handled the animals. It just wasnt right. IMO.. I dont care that they were gonna eat them. But there was no need too handle them they way they did.

I do agree that your wares, be they cars or birds, should be presented in the best light. But we confuse our desires with those of others.
    Others see only animals, not fellow creatures. It is a not-so subtle distinction, I admit, but lost on many.

Sometimes it sucks to be a chicken (or a quail).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: