I am starting a chicken garden!! What goes in it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by matthewschickens, May 22, 2010.

1. Hello Everyone!

I am going to start a chicken garden to try to lower feed bills!
    Here is the question:
    What goes in it? I am looking for things that are good for them and also things that they like.

Thanks!

Matthew

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I know that my chicks like dandelion and chickweed. These are very good for you (humans) to eat also. Google 'medicinal garden' and you'll get some ideas or try mountainroseherbs.com; that's where I bought my seeds.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Chickens like: Squash, greenbeans, tomatoes, corn can't think of anything else at the moment! [​IMG]

4. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    I'm all for Comfrey. Its good for beesting and burns for you too.

5. lilray

lilray Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Comfrey I hear a lot. We feed our chickens succulents a lot also. They grow fast and thick. I hear mangle beets a lot also. I planted corn this year. I feed ours rice too. Young cactus (nopales) I also buy in big quantities I skip one day every two weeks and will probably start one day a week, just water. They will eat all and everything.

6. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't know specific plans, but my chickies love to scratch around in my compost pile! Maybe you could get some sort of plant or pile of something that attracts bugs for them to find [​IMG]

7. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    My chickens like lettuce. To my dismay, my whole row of lettuce is just about to bolt, so I won't be getting any more till I plant a new crop in the fall. But the chickens love it. In fact any leafy greens from your garden. The only thing that I found out my hens won't eat is fava beans. I planted a whole bed of them, thinking it would be good chicken feed. They just trampled it down.

8. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Greens, grains, legumes and bugs should make a balanced diet for your chickens. Greens have the highest nutrient per calorie and space of any plant. So, if you don't have much space, start with those. If you do have space, I definately recommend you also grow some grains and legumes. He's a thread about green manure/cover crops that double as chicken feed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293840

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Kale

10. Larry33843

Larry33843 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2010
    Frostproof, FL
    I've got 1000 sq. ft. ready to plant sorghum, millet and broom corn, to feed to my guineas as scratch. Not sure about chickens, though I think they like these grains also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by