I am stumped!!! what on earth is this hen?!?

EggsAllDay

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Okay- Ive heard its a houdan- but its the wrong color

I was told it might be an "old english Toppy" (?)

Shes pretty small, but not small enough to be bantam.

If anyone can help me out with this that would be great.

maybe a crele?? Or some Old English Game?

Crele is a variety, not a breed. ;). And it looks like a dark barring with some brownish-red thrown in.

Color doesn't necessarily mean she's not a houdan. Shape makes breed, color makes variety. :)

She is, however, not a houdan, as they have a V-shaped comb, and she has a single comb. Polish and Crevecoeurs (two other crested breeds) also have V-shaped combs. As far as variety, she looks closest to a Wheaten (keep in mind this is NOT what breed she is, just the name for the color of her feathers), and she is, as far as I can tell, a cross of a crested breed and something with a single comb. :)

Hope this helps!

~~Ms.B :)

She is not houdan.

Polish X

Although I have seen something just like her before, I can't recall where it was.. It may have been a rare breed from Europe, but I'm going with polish cross.

I have NO idea what she is and I know absolutely nothing about chickens (just prefacing by saying that so I don't get jumped on).

To me, she looks a lot like a Sulmtaler (zwerg sulmtaler in google images)

I'm sure she isn't, because I'm never right and she's a bit on the small side for one anyway, but she does bear a strong resemblance (in my inexperienced noob opinion). They are also crested :)

[EDIT] Someone already said Sulmtaler LOL I agree with that person.
lol.png

Here's a side-by-side:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom