1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am such a bad chicken mamma..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smom1976, May 23, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I put my babies (mind you they are very spoiled) outside in their run today and I was planning on putting them in for the night before we left for a movie and we had a bit of a family crisis happen.. anyway we went to the movie and I didnt get them in..

IT POORED!! [​IMG]

My poor little babies.. they are not even a month old... they were all huddled in a corner taking turns covering each other with their wings.. We brought them in and took each one wrapped it in a towel/washcloth and held them close warming them up.. they just cuddled with me and fell asleep...

I got them all dry and they are acting normal again but I feel so bad.. they are inside tonight till I know that they are not chilled to the bone any more..

I need to get my coop done so that they can go in there for the evenings.

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had a similar experience with my 25 new BO chicks last summer. My friend and I built them a huge makeshift pen on a sunny day and were so pleased with ourselves and the chicks seemed happy. Off to work I went, where the sky clouded over and in 10 seconds there was a major downpour. Duh, we hadn't thought of that! I rushed home, grabbed those wet chicks and threw them in a heated brooder asap. They were fine -- dried off eventually and they all survived! They are my best layers now. So I'm guessing that yours will be fine too!

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Where are you located smom? The same exact thing happened to me!!! I didn't see a cloud in the sky, actually had a huge brush fire 2 day ago, I go out to buy wood for my new coop, and BOOM! The sky's opened up! Mine are older, 10 weeks, but they go inside at night, and when I got home, we had a repeat of your experience! Guess we'll be bad chicken mamma's together. [​IMG] Steph

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    we are in pensacola

the dog was stuck out in the rain too.. she is older so I am not scared of her getting chills..

but she has been getting out of the yard and running the neighborhood, so I had to chain her while we are fixing the fence. Well she was chained to the trampoline.. she pulled that thing closer to the house trying to get inside..

YUP BAD MOMMA lol

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    smom, how are your wet chickies doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by