I am terrified and scared….did I mention terrified?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Dec 3, 2009.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Started eggs in the bator, my own home flock – LG with turner and fan. Bator is in small room – no windows, mild temp flux from am to pm. Candled on lockdown and half were clear, other half dark. Eggs are in egg carton for hatching and I *think* they are moving slightly; not while I watch, but when I check some seem to have repositioned themselves.

I am terrified that none will hatch. Either my fertility is low due to time of year and or molt. My incubation skills could be really horrible. What if I have ruined all my eggs? Killed potential chicks? I am at a higher elevation than most (5000 feet) and very dry – what if my humidity was too high, not high enough. (I have read until my eyeballs have fallen out – so many threads on BYC – and I do realize that everyone has to find their own way – humidity wise)

Then I am scared some will hatch. I am already looking at my fresh collected eggs and thinking about trying again if I have failed. I want to join the monthly egg swaps – but do not want to kill someone else’s chicks. What if I cannot control myself – I do have a second bator I have started thinking about setting up as a lockdown/brooder – then I could do staggered hatches.

Tomorrow is day 21. I think I might be a little ill.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Deep breaths now. More deep breaths. You will know soon enough if the hatch was successful. Don't be alarmed if there is nothing until day 22 or 23. 21 days is only a reference under ideal conditions. LG's can be tempremental, I know we have one. As long as you had fertile eggs and temp stayed below 102 you should be ok.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    You can't "kill" an egg. It is just a potential.

If you are too wound up about this, perhaps you need Silkies [​IMG] .

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Good luck!

Nancy

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Oh My Gracious – one egg has a pip. A pip – the egg is cracked.

Breathe, deep breaths. My heart is pumping and stomach rolling.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

HF ..
    It's all ok now. Just relax, or try to. You are feeling the same thing we all did the first time. Actually, I often think the same as you have described! We'll all be here for you, with moral support! Like ThePP said, take a deep breath .... and another ... and another. There, you'll be ok!

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds like ya need a Xanax. [​IMG]

Sounds like you are fine. All the dark eggs should have a good chance of hatching.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Let us know when it's zipping and your running around screaming it's hatching.......... go chickie!!!!

9. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Get a glass of wine......no, make that the whole bottle [​IMG] and sit down. Relax, put on some nice soft music, my babies like music to hatch to.

Make sure you keep extra paper towels beside you.....you will need them to clean the windows of the incubator from having your face pressed against it.

Is your brooder up and running? If not you need to get it finished. Those babies will need a nice warm place when they are ready to be taken out.

Go take your shower now while you have time....it might be a long night for you.......watching....waiting.....watching.....waiting...... [​IMG]

And good luck [​IMG] on your new babies that you will be seeing soon. As always you must post pics so the rest of us can ooohh and aaahhh over them. [​IMG]

10. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

So, how did it go? We're dying to know, here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by