I am the biggest dumb butt dummy I know.......... Raccoon Attack......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Boyd, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Ok, so those who don't know, I have meat rabbits. Currently working on a satin silver fox cross. They live in the garage which is 50% underground and built into the hillside. Stays nice and cool, and with a fan, it is 20 degrees cooler than the outside.

So my big dog alerted me to problems. It was 11ish at night and I had been asleep for hours (go to bed 8:30 - 9ish) and for some reason opted for my .22 instead of my sidearm. Good thing I did.....

Nothing was outside the front doors, nor raiding my garbage cans. I sneak barefoot down to the garage and peek into the front window where I see a large boar coon trying to reach through the cage wire to pull a nest box full of 8 baby buns all named food (oddly enough) towards him and out of the cage.

Ok, so the coon got inside the garage, totally my fault... I left the big door cracked about 4" for airflow... it was a 90+ day and ice had barely helped mamma and the babies..

I dropped into a prone position and took aim under the door. ok so get this.... 4" gap I am shooting through, cement floor, cement walls on the back 3 sides..... Me barely awake because the baby has been getting me up all hours of the night........... so I take the shot.

Needless to say as soon as I pulled the trigger I flinched. I sorta forgot that 4 of the surfaces I was shooting towards would deflect and ricochet a .22 ..... ACK [​IMG]

so after going inside to change my shorts, I go back out to track the boar. Best guess is a 25lb male. I don't see how that sucker could have fit under a 4" gap, but he must have.

Protect your critters, remember to listen to your gut... and know your target and what you are shooting towards. Muscle memory and a ton of practice saved me from an ugly ending last night.

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    So glad you're okay!

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:If you ever watch one go through a hole that small it looks like they are made out of jello

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by