I am thinking about getting a few ducks, chickens, or quail. Any suggestions? Also do I need water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by travisman1994, Feb 14, 2013.

1. travisman1994

travisman1994 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    I was thinking about getting quail, ducks or chickens but I have been undecided about what I want to get for a few months. I want to be able to raise them organically and possibly provide them food without buying much feed, if any..... I know that they will eat slugs, grubs and various insects which we get in plague proportions in my area which is literally 3 minutes away from lake erie. I also have vegitable pulp and some whey from cheese making. However, from what I understand chickens quails and ducks need specific nutrients to survive and I want to provide them with the right food so they can live a good life. I would also like to get good egg production to eat. We don't have much property either and I plan on have a rather large garden next year so I would like to know how badly they will tear it up if at all. What do y'all recommend?

2. well, for the swimming, get a plastic kiddie pool for the to swim in, and keep it clean.

3. travisman1994

travisman1994 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    I heard that muscovy ducks don't need water to swim in is this a myth? Do they need the same amount as normal ducks?

4. I don't know much about ducks, but they'd probably like it, anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by