1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am thinking about getting ringneck pheasants.

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by incubatingisfun, Oct 22, 2010.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    So i havent raised anything but chickens and im just wondering how dificult it is to raise pheasants?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

it's not hard raising them but they are different than chickens. The biggest thing I have noted is they will peck each other to pieces given a chance.

Steve

3. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    And they are flighty and spastic as all get out.
    Work with them, play with them, the first few days are the most important, IMO!!!

I do know my Red and Yellows are ALOT calmer than the Lady A's or ringnecks

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Be sure and feed them a gamebird feed as they require a higher protein. Gamebird starter is usually 28-30%. The gamebird feed has animal protein in it which in my opinion helps with the feather picking. Many people also put blinders on to help with this. I have been fortunate so far not to have to do this as I hate the things. The more room you can give them, especially with ringnecks, the better off you are as this also helps.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Here is one reason for having them, they are eye catching to say the least

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

6. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Thank you everyone for the information.I will definently get ringnecks once i do some research and built a coop.Steve those are so cool i cant wait to get some.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:There is alot of great info here and many experienced breeders. I actually held off on getting them for a few years because of all the horror stories I heard about them, I wish I would have gotten them sooner.

Steve

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Feel free to PM me any questions....I can help yah out. I haven't been doing it as long as some but have raised over 200 birds.
    [​IMG]

9. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    thanks what kind of housing to you use for pheasants

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Here is my main mixed aviary...this houses my 7 pheasant breeders and 8 assorted Mandarin and Wood Ducks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by