1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am very frustrated with some posts...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SkyWarrior, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    At the risk of having this post removed, I'm feeling frustrated. [​IMG]

I don't know what to say anymore if another person posts a message about a chick/chicken's death and tells me that their children are very upset that their chicks/chickens died. Or their eggs haven't hatched.

I feel helpless. I mean, these things can and do happen. I've had bad days/weeks where I've lost beloved animals, haven't had eggs hatch, or lost a new chick, but I'm feeling like someone is asking me for a miracle or a change in the unfair nature of the world by adding their children's emotions in. I want to say to people that "I'm sorry, but you needed to prepare your children for the eventuality of disappointment and death," [​IMG] but I feel that it is so callous, I say that I'm sorry to hear it and maybe make suggestions. But a part of me is hugely frustrated.

Okay, I think I've said enough. [​IMG] If I've made you angry, I'm sorry. [​IMG] I just don't know what to say anymore when someone adds that their children are dreadfully upset something bad happened. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Spend more time doing what you love instead of reading all those posts that upset you, that's what I have been doing and its a good time to get ready for winter, too. Have a cup 'a tea, too:) Hugs, Cheryl

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I don't know what to say

You don't have to say anything at all.
    Just click on the next post and don't worry about ti​

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Sometimes people just want some support when these things happen. They are not expecting you to do anything about it. Many do not have people in their real lives that understand their attachment to a chicken. This forum is a place where they know other people "get it". I would hardly find someone reaching out to be annoying. I hope you continue to use restraint in your responses to them.

You can teach your children that death is natural but their feelings of sadness will still be their when a pet dies. It is a tough lesson for for them. As a parent, it is hard to see your child go through the grieving process.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I don't find it annoying. I find it frustrating. I understand the attachment, trust me. I feel for them. I feel for their kids. But it's not support. It's often a plea for help. Such as "My eggs aren't developing and my 5 year old is going to be heartbroken if they don't hatch. Please help me." Or "fluffy chick is having blood poo and isn't moving. Please help. My son will be devastated if she dies..."

I don't know what to say. "Sorry to hear this. Eggs don't develop -- get new ones?" "Chick sounds very sick and probably won't make it but you can give electrolytes and sugar water?" I'm tactful, just at a loss and feeling pulled into a family tragedy. [​IMG]

6. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Whenever I find a post frustrates me I just don't respond. I move on to the next one. I don't dwell on it or give it much thought. That said, maybe you are taking it all too personally?[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I don't find it annoying. I find it frustrating. I understand the attachment, trust me. I feel for them. I feel for their kids. But it's not support. It's often a plea for help. Such as "My eggs aren't developing and my 5 year old is going to be heartbroken if they don't hatch. Please help me." Or "fluffy chick is having blood poo and isn't moving. Please help. My son will be devastated if she dies..."

I don't know what to say. "Sorry to hear this. Eggs don't develop -- get new ones?" "Chick sounds very sick and probably won't make it but you can give electrolytes and sugar water?" I'm tactful, just at a loss and feeling pulled into a family tragedy. [​IMG]

I help if possible. I know some pretty ill chicks have pulled through once a treatment has been suggested by a more experienced member. The inclusion of feelings is simply venting. If it bothers you, don't respond at all.

8. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Yeah, probably. [​IMG] Doesn't help that I had a bad run of luck a few weeks ago. Ah well. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I find that in threads that are desperate or rants or venting, that the emotions are heightened. It seems to be the internet norm. And the often veer in very dramatic twists.
    I feel no need to try and fix anything or raise anyone else's kids, but do want to help if I can. So I would post either a simple platitude or offer common sense non-judgemental advice.
    On topics I don't care for, I just don't open those threads. Not worth it, if it will upset me.
    Plenty of other things to do on BYC.

Imp- Sorry you are feeling this frustration.

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Thanks for the response. I know what I should do, but lately it's been hard. I guess one too many have gotten to me.

The point is, I don't mind helping when someone asks for help, but I seem to be thinking about them a bit more. Probably because it's a writing procrastination thing. Sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by