I am very upset with Sandhill Preservation

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Sugar Sand Farm, May 6, 2008.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We received our order from Sandhill on April 23. They sent our 25 chicks and three extras. They all arrived alive although two ahd leg problems. We had them sent express so they got here over night. They also sent Black cochins instead of the white I had ordered. That was OK but they are now 2 weeks old and we have lost 6 so far. All of the black cochins died and one of the buff.It seems like a failure to thrive. Some of the chicks (polish and cochins) are half the size of the others. The golden polish are normal sized and the silver looks like a banty. I am beginning to wonder if they sent banty cochins instead of standard. We ordered from them thinking we were getting heritage breeds, if this is an example then the hatchery chicks are better. The bad part is they arrived alive so they will do nothing about this lose. My DD who ordered them is very upset. They are also the most skittish chicks, they panick when you go near the brooder. I talk to them constantly and the grandkids want to hold them but I am afraid that it stresses them out when they pick them up Has anyone else had problems with Sandhill. Believe me it will be the last time we order from them Its not worth the long wait or hassle of dealing with them. DD wants to send them a letter but I dont think it would help. Just had to vent thanks for listening Micki

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Last year we had the same problem with the chicks being weak, we only had like 5 chicks left from them that lived, while the other chicks they were with were fine. This year they were better, we ordered 25 chicks for our chick sale, they sent 52 and none died.

3. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm sorry your having problems with them. I haven't had a problem with them. Their chicks are robust for me but they don't have the long travel time either.

I did loose some from Cackle this year after they were a week old.

Mine are usually skittish after a week old. Unless my kids handle them all the time. We usually don't see them calm down till all their feathers are in. We have some over 9 weeks old and they come running to us especially when they are hungry.

On the size difference you could always call and ask. Linda is really nice. Did you mark that they could substitute?

I'm waiting for mine to come from them.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I bought some polish from a guy that got a order from them he wasn't having any prob's and the polish i got from him are growing good and don't act any different from my own hatched out chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by