I am WOMAN..... as I beat my chest show you pictures of my coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tiffanyg2, May 17, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    LOL ~ I seriously feel like doing that!! [​IMG] This is what I have done over the weekend, with the kids gone to their fathers house. Me and my tools have now taking our relashionship to the next level~ and built this built cool Chicken House! I'm not done and still lots to do but for 2 days I am happy with what I see... Tell me what you all think!!

These are the walls the coop will be 5 x 3.5 Built these on Friday night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning after I finished the other two walls~ I clamped them all together and they look beautiful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This mesh screen will be raised higher and centered and put in as a window that will allow sunlight and airflow to enter the coop. I will construct a hinged shutter that will enclose this during bad weather. I just tacked it on for the purpose of figuring out the spacing I needed for the 2 x 4's in the center wall for now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday afternoon~ figuring out the dimensions of the roof was a little tricky but I did it! I made 4 of these "A" frame roof trusses you'll see A in a few more pics~ I added another piece of wood through the center for additional support.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is!

[​IMG]

Sunday Morning ~ Then onto building the nest boxes! This was tricky to~ but pulled it off. Gave it lots of support and will reinforce the outside with trim to help keep it safe from the elements. This will be duplicated on the opposite side which will provide 4 nest boxes for my girls!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the full view pictures where I left off...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Window Side
    [​IMG]

Main Access door will go on this side.
    [​IMG]

To give you perspective on house big it is! It stands 5'3 in height it's 5 x 3.5 wide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the base out back which I will need to shorten since I built my coop so high! Haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this location, it will give them lots of shade in the summer months ~ and in the winter the leaves will be gone and they will get some good sunshine~ when it counts!
    I still have so much to do but I really hope in the next 2 weeks I can finish! I will be putting shingles on the roof and over the nest box lids, and lots of personal touches! Hope you all like I will contine to post pics if any of you are interested. And yes a Woman built IT!!! HAHA [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Awesome job! [​IMG] Could you build me one?!?

3. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Haha~ I think I did find a new hobby! Just bring the Lumber [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That is a fanTAStic job! Congratulations to you on such good work and great results!

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    You sound like me... You go girl!!! Nothing to stop the determined woman [​IMG]

Looks really nice... I converted a horse stall for my regular size chickens... need to build a coop for the bantams...
    You want to come visit... [​IMG]
    JK... but you did a GREAT job!!!

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I just love it. Congratulations. Cute kiddos too.[​IMG]

7. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Love that,You did a wonderful job.[​IMG]:

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You really should be proud of yourself!! That looks great! [​IMG]
    Depending on how high your platform is, I don't know that you need to lower it...18 -24 inches is a good level to easily access from your "people" door without having to bend and stoop too much, and still gives the birds a place to go (underneath) for shelter from elements during the day. Also, I'm betting that little coop is going to weigh a ton by the time it has siding on it. So you might consider burying pavers or those small cinderblocks for each leg to sit on so that the coop stays level once placed... Can't wait to see the final product!

9. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Wow, that's awesome! Looks like you've got some talent with wood. How much are you going to lower the base?

10. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    You go girl! I love building stuff! Of course now that I am pregnant hubbby says chop saw and circular saw are off limits [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by