I am wondering about moulting.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by freeheart227, Nov 9, 2007.

1. freeheart227

freeheart227 New Egg

Nov 9, 2007
    How long does it last and what areas will be moulted? Is this a yearly occurance?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first hard molt usually comes about 18-20 months old, but I had several younger ones, about 10 months old, just go through a mini-molt, complete with cessation of laying.

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    It happens every year, and can last several weeks. It happens about now or slightly earlier (mine always seem to moult late for reasons unbeknownst to me). All area are moulted, and they can sometimes end up looking rather bare!

4. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Mine are just coming out of molting and finally after a month I am starting to get some eggs again.

5. speckledhen

I've got em in all stages of molt. Some have finished awhile back and some have barely started and some just are pathetic-looking. Poor things!

6. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Cynthia, Do you really mean 18-20 months? Mine are 23 weeks old and some are starting to moult. Is this not normal?

7. speckledhen

You are seeing juvie feathers replaced with adult feathers. I guarantee you arent seeing the first true molt. They go through several feather stages before the 18 month molt and that's what you're seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by