I am wondering when my 2 new bantams will start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelbyw, Jan 15, 2017.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I know it is not spring yet, but it has gotten pretty warm here again and my bsl and buff have been laying since December which for some reason they like to lay in 30 degrees F. Anyways I have two 10 month old bantams and I am just curious if they will start laying in March since they came of laying age in the winter months. One is a Partridge Cochin and I think my other is a lavender cuckoo easter egger.
    .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Most chickens start laying at approximately 21-30 weeks of age but temps, light and breed have a lot of impact on this. So the two in the picture are 40 weeks? If so, fingers crossed any day now! The face of the top one is looking nice and red, are they squatting for you yet? How many hours of light do you get right now? It's about 14 degrees F here right now and only my 1st year hen, Wobbles (a Leghorn) has been laying at all....if there aren't close to 16 hours of daylight yet, they may not lay for a while...I have a Banty Cochin and just to warn you, they tend to go broody easily and if that happens she will be constantly in the nest trying to hatch her eggs. Unless you have a Roo, that obviously won't happen, but she will also stop laying. Just a forewarning.

3. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    They get a lot of light because last year I opened up an area where the sun hits that area throughout the entire day until it goes down. I do have a silkie too that is two years old and he is somewhat dancing around them [​IMG] They are beginning to nest in the boxes, but they have been doing that for a few weeks now[​IMG] I actually would not mind one to go broody, because I would like to hatch some chicks :)

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    There is no real say when exact.A lot of chickens lay between 4 months to 7 months.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What does this mean?
    They are sitting in the nests all day and night?
    Or just sleeping in them at night?
    Or going in and digging around in the nests?

6. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    They are just starting to sit in them during the day for maybe 10 minutes.They like to perch at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by