I am worried i cant eat my broilers!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Sep 23, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Ive noticed the bottom of the broilers feet have spots where the skin has cracked. There is no plug i believe to indicate bumblefoot, but does this render all of the meat unusable? I have reason to believe that probably all are this way.

Their legs and joints are fine( with the exception to ONE whom i semi- lamed myself with the tractor-- hes been bruised in the butt and thigh but is healing)

None of the feet that i have looked at is actually swollen , red or warm to indicate an infection, but im not stupid to think they arent at risk from their own poo! their "due" date is the second week of october. Not much time left.

What would you do?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I would say it's okay to eat them. The feet of mine always get a spot on the pad of their feet. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem- eat 'em.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'd eat em' yum yum yum! [​IMG]

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    This is happens with broilers a lot that are raised in tractors. Simple solution is to move them more, because what is happening is they are standing on their own manure. This creates a burn effect which makes the feet crack or turn black on the bad. Which is one of the reasons broilers that have this will not stand for very long.... it hurts their feet.

I move my pens at least twice a day but I get really good results when I do it three. However it's time consuming but I figured I'm here... mine as well move them.

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Thanks guys.

I cannot move my tractor by myself.. no wheels. bad planning, not enough time,e tc. since we have let them free range, and moving it every few days( when Dh is home-- he is a trucker so its not every day). This has helped tremendously with the poop - in- concentration problem. Its probably from before we started doing this.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I wish I was able to move mine that many times. Jeff, you have a great gig. I wish I could take the risk of quitting my day job and attempting to do what you do. Life would be good!

Do you need a partner? LOL

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree I am really jealous of Brunty's set up!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by