I am worried my Lav Orp is a boy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peachesbabychick, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello. I am concerned that my Lav orp, Sugar Plum is a male. I looked at a picture of 2 male lavs, same age and everything, and my Sugar Plum looked identical to them. He/her tail feathers kind of point down a bit, and he/she's more skittish then my legorns! She/he also has little nubs of spurs starting out. Sugar plum also doesn't fly very much.

By the way she is probably about 2 months. Is there any chance at all she might just be a husky hen?

Thankyou.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both sexes have spur nubs. Roosters don't really get real spurs till they are about 8-12 months old. When the bird is about 9-11 weeks old, the shiny, skinny saddle feathers will come out on the males.

3. Peachesbabychick

Ok. What about her/he looking just like the other males? Any way she could just be a manly hen? Ha Ha! Her feathers aren't very shiny so I guess that is a positive!!! Also, her neck is kinda bald where she is getting feathers in, but some parts there is just pink skin! Thoughts?

4. Peachesbabychick

Ok. What about her/he looking just like the other males? Any way she could just be a manly hen? Ha Ha! Her feathers aren't very shiny so I guess that is a positive!!! Also, her neck is kinda bald where she is getting feathers in, but some parts there is just pink skin! Thoughts?

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you post us some pics?

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    I Would love to see pictures ive got dotty a bo and iwanther tojust be a manlyfemale too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by