I am writing an article on Swedish Ducks I want your feedback

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TK Poultry, Aug 2, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    here is the article that I have wrote to try to get published about Swedish Ducks, I would like you guys to read it and tell me what you think. It is only the first draft so its a bit rough around the edges.

The Blue Swedish Duck
    By: Tyler Brammer

The Blue Swedish is a breed of duck which is dwindling in numbers. Once a thriving utility breed bred for its meat and eggs, is now becoming more rare by the day. The American Livestock Breed Conservancy reports only sixteen people breeding Swedish and only eight flocks with fifty or more birds. It also reports an entire breeding population of only 1,832 birds. The Swedish is also on the Watch list given out by the ALBC. These birds are in desperate need of a breed club to get the support they need. The breed in general though is docile and easy to keep and are known for their blue color and white bibs.

Their History
    Their history can be traced back to nineteenth century Europe where the first foundation breeding flocks were reported in a region called Pomerania, which at the time was a part of the Kingdom of Sweden, but now takes up parts of Northeast Germany and Northwest Poland. The Swedish Duck was first brought to the Untied States in 1884 and was put into the Standard of Perfection in 1904.

On the Farm
    The Swedish has its rightful place on the farm, and is considered a utility breed. Weighing in at 6.5-8lbs it is in the Medium Duck class. The Swedish was originally raised for it exceptional meat. Since it is considered a utility breed it is slower to mature, and provides well flavor meat to make up for it. It is not overwhelmingly known for its egg laying ability laying 100-150 white, blue, or green tinted eggs a year. From my experience the first few eggs of the season are usually a really dark green and usually lighten to white toward fall. Again from experience I would consider the Swedish a seasonal layer. Mine usually stop laying around November, and start up again in around March

The Blue Coloring
    The Swedish got its standard name from its notable blue coloring. If you have ever bred any blue bird than you know how unstable that gene is. The blue color of the birds is heterozygous for the blue gene (Bb). This means when you breed two Blue Swedish together you will theoretically get 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash or Silver birds.

The Standard
    If you are looking to show Blue Swedish Ducks then you will only be able to show the blue birds from your flock. They are the only variety accepted by the American Poultry Association (APA). When you are looking for good breeders then you need to look for a few things. You want a nice oval head, a medium size bill that follows the top line of the bird, and a nice stocky body that is about 20 degrees above what is considered horizontal. You also need to consider its color. You are suppose to have a bird that is uniformly slate blue all over, if you are showing a drake then you need a nice dark navy blue head and a green bill, or if you are showing a hen then you need a navy blue bill and uniform slate colored head. Their legs also need to be a brownish color. You also have to consider the bib. You need a nice clean bib that doesn’t “bleed” into the blue too much, and two to three primary flight feathers to be a white color.

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have one of those 1,832 Blue Swedish duckies!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I have 11 of them!

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    No way there's only 1,832 Blue Swedes in America...Metzer Farms has 10,000+ adult ducks...not all of them are Swedes but there are definetly over 1,800 Blue Swedes in the U.S. And probably that many just at Metzer Farms. The ALBC poultry censuses are a joke.

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:they probably mean in the private breeding flocks like yours or mine, not Metzer which is hatchery. The ALBC works to conserve the small private flocks and heritage breeds. I'm sure they are not counting the over production of grade ducks. Please this is not about the ALBC this is about the article I wrote and the construction of it, not the information the ALBC puts out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by