I apologize for the indelicate question, but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kareninthesun, Aug 12, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Do chickens pass gas? I swear I heard it as one of my three month old's leaned down to grab a piece of watermellon.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've heard/seen chicken boof's either just before or just after a poop... but they are mostly silent.

3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Pretty sure they do. I've heard some pretty indelicate noises from broody hens before. [​IMG]

4. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    [​IMG] That's so funny. I have never encountered it before. I wonder if they have a putrid odor? [​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:smells like chicken!!!! [​IMG]

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Oh they do.

We decided to move a broody hen from the very inappropriate place she had decided to sit and my daughter volunteered to move her. I am very glad it was her rather than me......nasty mom!

She picked up said broody who farted and pooped continuously for the time taken to move her to her new resting place.

As she had not been up and about for 2 days, the gas propelled broody poop managed to cover all one side of her sweat shirt , jeans and wellies. I really should have taken a picture but I was laughing too much.....nasty, nasty mum.

Still it's usually me who gets the chicken poo, lamb poo,bitten fingers, head butting, foot trampling etc.that is inherent with chickens, sheep, and many other animals.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Of course they do, i've yet to hear one burp though.

9. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and all replies!! This made me LAUGH OUT LOUD for sure!! Thank you!! [​IMG]

10. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm going to my class reunion next weekend. Worried when the subject comes up as to what I've been doing lately, my mind will draw a blank of all subjects except chickens with enough gas to float small balloons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by