i asked for hens only...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheeriotwins, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cheeriotwins

cheeriotwins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    ...but how do i know that that's what i got? they're only 3 weeks old. 4 of the 6 appear to be developing little nubs for combs (the 2 ameraucana's don't have them, but the plymouth rock, the ri reds, and the golden sexlink sp? all do). should i be worried that i have some roosters? i'm new at this, but know that they're hard to sex, right?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In some cases, as in small orders the hatcheries will include "packing peanuts" chicks (usually roos) for added warmth unless you specifically tell them no extras. Even if you got the exact number of chicks you ordered, you should know that feather sexing of day olds is only 90% accurate. In the case of your sex link it's my understanding that one should be correct since they are sexed based on color, not the feather sexing....correct me if I'm wrong sex link experts. [​IMG]
    Furthermore, your chicks are suppose to developing combs at 3 weeks. The differences in the combs will start to show up when the chicks are more like 4 to 6 weeks old. The cockerel's combs will start to get larger and redder then.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    it's my understanding that hatcheries do not offer a 100% guarantee on sexing chicks.

I ordered all pullets, didnt get any "packing peanuts" and am pretty sure that there are at least one or two boys in the group. But , like I said. Not a 100% guarantee. so:confused:

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Ameraucanas have pea combs, the other breeds you have are single combs.

You are comparing apples to oranges, so to speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by