I Asked When it Would End... Never.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Last week I asked when the chicken obsession would end. As some said... Never. Yep. I was just going to order my Blue and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and call it quits. Last week I picked up 10 new strait run chicks and said I was done. Make my order and I was done. I made myself think I needed to go down town and I had a really good medical reason to visit TSC today. It was to see what the new Breed of the Week was. I just made it sound good to myself and my husband.

The chicks were late coming in, so I wondered around and made it look good until my hubby finally caught on and asked if I was waiting for chicks. I fessed up. About that time the new shipment came in - Speckled Sussex. They are on my original list (Sussex, Wyandottes, Australorps, Barred Rocck and Delawares). So I wait for them to get unpacked. I wait for them to get a drink. I would have liked them to have some heat to get warm, but the guy never turned the light on. I was getting sick of watching the chicks literally eat the one that was not going to make it (shipping did it in). One chick in particular almost ate the the toes off the poor little thing. I kept telling him he needed to get that chick out of there, but we know how TSC workers are. Anyways... I got 10 new straight run Speckled Sussex today. That's 63 total chicks, 39 of which I do not know the gender of, 2 BLH roos and 22 that are supposed to be pullets. Um... I wanted around 50 hens and 3 roos, so my math isn't to far off. I just wish knowing these mystery birds' genders would become clearer a bit sooner! As it stands, I am assuming I have about 40 pullets. Oh, I need another 10-20! Hehe! Yeah, I am still making my order for the Wyandottes. Straight run so I get some freezer stuffers, too.

Yep. I love chicken math.
    Yep. I am chicken obsessed.
    Yep. I am a member of CA - Chickenholic Anonymous.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. It's incurable. Trust me. If for some reason you have to downsize or - heavens! - get rid of your flock, the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. They start before you have even divested yourself of one chick oe chicken.

Hopefuly I will be infected with this odd disease for my entire life.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I didn't realize how bad it was until I got started. My original plan was 10-15 chickens. Then as people started requesting eggs, I knew the hens wouldn't be able to keep up. So, I decided 25 - 5 of each of the a fore mentioned breeds. Then I got 3 of this, 3 of that, 15 here, 10 there, 8 there... Oh, I saw chicks and had to have them! Plus, having a multitude of colors was a goal. Yep, I succeeded.

Yeah, I don't mind being obsessed, but my chicken coop can not hold all of these chickens. And I just finished the nest boxes and the coop is ready, as of today. Now, I need a much larger building and I do happen to have one. I have a 30 x 14' shed I am using for my horse tack and spare hay storage. Welp. It's soon going to be a large chicken coop. There's room for about 90 chickens in there. The little coop will hold the roos I plan on making dinner. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by